Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
As the Sr. Vehicle Crash Test Engineer, you will be responsible to plan, coordinate and execute full vehicle crash tests, developmental component-assembly level testing, occupant sled testing, static safety testing and material testing. Candidate is expected to have good understanding of passive and active vehicle safety, possess necessary regulatory and 3rd party protocol knowledge mainly in FMVSS, UNECE, IIHS and NCAPs. A proven track record of multiple vehicle programs is desired. Candidates from all OEMs, TIER1s and Crash Labs are welcome to apply.
- Plan, coordinate and execute full vehicle safety testing, in active and passive safety groups
- Coordinate across teams to monitor build of crash vehicles per crash plan
- Physically attend and monitor testing collaborating with test labs.
- Communicate test results and analysis through written reports including quick summaries for group meetings.
- Summarize areas of improvements and document learnings.
- Sign-off on parts, assemblies, test setups and vehicles prior testing
- Monitor full vehicles builds, confirm compliance with safety BOM and obtain cross functional sign offs prior testing
- Confirm and dictate full vehicle test setups as per regulations and crash protocols
- Support certification and homologation team to execute DVP tests and document per requirement
- Work closely with Rivian’s Testing Manager to plan, coordinate and execute all necessary testing
- This role reports directly to Rivian’s Safety Testing Manager
- Minimum BS in Mechanical or Automotive Engineering required with 5-7+ years of relevant OEM or TIER1 experience
- Prior Experience with physical testing of safety components and systems (static testing, impactor testing, Occupant Sled Testing, Impact sled testing and full Vehicle Testing) is a MUST
- Frequent travel, In & out of state will be required as per need
- Good understanding of the FMVSS/ECE regulations
- Good understanding of the NCAPs and IIHS protocols
- Good understanding of overall automotive safety systems is required
- Experience with post processing test data along with CAE is desired
- Willingness to work in physical crash testing environment is required
- Strong organizational skills, excellent communication skills and software proficiencies (CAD softwares, Excel, PowerPoint and other data analysis software) are required
- Prior CAE experience is preferred, but not required
- Effective communicator, up, down and sideways (verbal, emails, phone calls, text messages, engineering reports etc.)
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.