Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
In this role you will join the Electric Power Conversion team to support both project and internal R&D efforts for electric motors.
- Validate motor performance and various powertrain components
- Generate/revise detailed 3D CAD models and 2D drawings of electro-mechanical and mechanical system layouts from motor design and powertrain specifications
- Review designs & drawings for completeness and accuracy
- Analyze and verify preliminary and detailed designs
- Develop component technical specifications, DVP&Rs, test plans as well as Statements of Work (SOW)
- Evaluate products, parts, processes, DFM and DFA for cost efficiency and reliability
- Design of associated assembly tooling in early development prototyping and fixtures for dynamometer testing
- Lead and support product development with suppliers
- Work closely with supplier quality team to ensure product quality
- Ensure timely completion of project design deliverables including designs, drawings, analyses, and other documentations as required
- Collaborate with other members of the engineering staff to support both project and internal R&D efforts
- BSME degree with 10+ years of experience related to electric rotating machinery, MS preferred.
- At least 10 years of experience in the following:
- Design of electric motors and/or high-speed electric rotating components
- Design of large, complex assemblies including a deep understanding of electric drivetrains
- Proficiency in CAD; CATIA and/or SolidWorks
- Proficiency in GD&T, tolerance stack-up analyses (linear & radial) and high speed shrink fit analysis
- Experience with FEA conducting stress analysis on various components and assemblies comprised of various metals and plastics
- Extensive experience in DFMEA, DVP&R and PFMEA
- Detailed knowledge of relevant manufacturing techniques of motor assembly process for both low & high volume production
- Familiarity with electric & hydraulic dynamometers
- Experience in electrical measurements (resistance, hi-pot, surge, etc) equipment and instrumentations such as pressure, flow, and temperature
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude with minimal supervision is expected
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.