Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Develop and deploy standards and methods for structural modeling, correlation, and structural behavior prediction ensuring models accurately represent physics and dynamic performance of vehicle structure
- Responsible for modeling and characterizing behavior of structural materials used in full vehicle simulations (Structures, Exterior, Interior, Battery, Electrical, and others)
- Responsible for modeling and characterizing behavior of joints used in structural simulations (Resistance Spot-weld, Gas-Metal Arc Weld, Adhesives, and other mechanical joining methods)
- Where necessary support and drive the in-house testing of materials and joints to validate complex material models between coupon/component analysis and testing
- Lead correlation activities for sub-assembly and component level testing
- Support material characterization activities and Rivian Materials Database for use with simulation solvers
- Develop material models for other relevant materials such as windshield glass, tire carcass, rubber dampers/mounts, structural inserts, etc.
- Develop and implement methodology for characterizing metal forming effects on vehicle structures
- Develop and implement methodology for characterizing carbon fiber and non-metallic composite materials
- Evaluate, implement, and maintain best practices and simulation inputs for use in Statement of Requirements during purchasing and sourcing process
- Develop methodology for structural optimization and implement on subsystems and full vehicle
- Develop training materials to support material model utilization
- Leverage all experts within Rivian as needed to enhance model quality and predictive capability
- 15+ years of industry relevant full vehicle level structural simulation experience (crashworthiness structures, NVH full vehicle, or durability full vehicle)
- Degree Qualified in relevant engineering or product design field (MS or higher preferred)
- Clear knowledge of structural requirements for a vehicle and its subsystems, e.g., body-in-white, closures, battery structures, IP
- A strong understanding of the first-principle physics of vehicle structures and their performance in conditions specified by regulations, consumer metrics, and internal requirements – the loads, forces, overall function of systems and key attributes including knowledge of CAE Simulation and Analysis tools and processes
- Knowledge of the materials, processes & technologies used to deliver structural performance
- Experience using ANSA, LS-DYNA, Abaqus, OptiStruct, and META with application in vehicle structures analysis
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and teamwork skills
- An understanding of physical limitations of parts and design ideas to resolve performance issues.
- Detailed knowledge of an automotive design and development process, system requirements, and general engineering best practices
- The ability to progress multiple tasks & projects to tight deadlines
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist you with your job search or application for employment, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.