Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
The Lead Structure Integration Architect is the owner of the structural performance, structure architectural layout, and topology for the vehicle program.
- Lead the structural topology strategy, loadpath layout, and target setting for the vehicle program
- Establish and execute the structure development and optimization plan
- Ensure customer and performance requirements are well understood and clearly documented for feature development and user stories as the basis for target setting
- Own the Performance Scorecard, ensure it contains clear targets and is regularly updated
- Develop strategy for key architectural joints, materials application, and joining methodology
- Partner with Design Studio, Strategic Programs, and Marketing to comprehend customer expectations for the vehicle and develop relevant and balanced performance targets
- Lead cross functional team of performance development engineers from Safety, NVH, Durability, Vehicle Dynamics to synthesize a robust architecture
- Collaborate with Materials Engineering, Engineering Rerelease teams, and Manufacturing to ensure robust structural strategy
- Orchestrate the flow-down of requirements and targets from the vehicle to component level
- Train and develop less experienced engineers in hand calculations, simulation tools, and data driven results discussion.
- Lead the Structure Integration Engineering team setting standards for efficiency, quality, and accountability for cross-functional development and issues resolution
- BS in Mechanical Engineering required, MS or PhD preferred.
- 10+ years’ experience with developing and analyzing full vehicle performance, crash or NVH preferred
- Minimum of 1 full vehicle development cycle on a major model change project from initial target setting phase through development and testing.
- Demonstrated experience of successfully leading and training less experienced engineers.
- Detailed knowledge of an automotive design and development process, system requirements, and general engineering best practices
- A system approach to design and development with the desire and curiosity to strive for continuous improvement
- A deep understanding of an automotive body including an excellent understanding of those systems & components which surround & interface to the body
- An understanding of body-in-white structure requirements, loads, joining processes and adhesives
- A strong understanding of the first-principle physics of the body engineering system – the loads, forces, overall function of the system and key attributes
- An understanding of the tradeoffs among design, package, function, and customer experience involved with these systems
- An eagerness to work cross-functionally in a dynamic environment where you are part of a team – specifically this means active brainstorming, working on various areas of the car
- First-class communication methods with the ability to communicate effectively across multiple sites & time zones
- A comfortable presenter of detailed information to a wide range of audiences
- The ability to progress multiple tasks & projects to tight deadlines
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.