Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
The Design Quality Engineer will drive component tooling surface releases, texturing and appearance harmony for Rivian interior and exterior components. In addition, the position will provide situational awareness of emerging risks to our current timing and deliverables. This position drives continuous improvement by working with suppliers, cross functional teams and identify soluble solutions to Design Quality issues.
• Facilitate grain reviews and approve the surface quality of manufacturing tools for each responsible program (surface, pre-grain, post-grain)
• Lead DVAC (Design Validation Appearance Certificate) submissions to ensure appearance/color harmony between different sub-systems for interior and exterior components are following Design Quality systems.
• Conduct harmony reviews at designated milestones to establish appearance/color harmony baselines prior to start of production.
• Maintain Design Quality tracking database/s for DVAC submits, per program
• Train, coach and assist employees on Design Quality basics
• Support Design Quality functions through all product milestones and start of production
• Support manufacturing plants in case of Design Quality issues
• Bachelors degree in Engineering plus 2-5 years of experience or equivalent design experience
• Very high level of organizational and multitasking skills• Ability to drive for results with cross functional teams
• Ability to take immediate action in solving problems
• Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office, advanced skills in Excel
• Knowledge of various materials and decoration techniques (plastic, paint, leather/vinyl, fabrics, etc.)
• Knowledge of texturing processes and applications
• Knowledge of automotive components (interior/exterior) and relevant terminology
• Ability to manage multiple projects across varying geographic locations
• Strong listening skills
• Willingness to work in a strong cross functional environment in a dynamic environment
• Proven technical knowledge and ability to collaborate with engineering, design, manufacturing, and suppliers
• Comfortable working in a manufacturing / production environment
• Must pass a Munsell Hue Test with Superior Discrimination
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.