Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Formulate and evaluate electrolytes and additives for different anodes and cathodes.
- Work with internal and external teams to develop innovative electrolyte and additives to improve rate, cycle/calendar life and safety.
- Develop advanced characterization techniques to evaluate properties and performance of difference electrolytes formulations.
- Work with cross functional teams internally and externally to bring new electrolyte formulations to cell production.
- Investigate relationship of electrolyte properties, SEI formation with electrode/cell performance and safety.
- Define development roadmap for electrolyte and battery cell technology.
- Be an expert leader in the technical discussion and lead the collaboration with external research laboratory.
- Train other engineers and technicians.
- Must have:
- MS degree in chemistry/chemical engineering or materials science with more than 3 years working on lithium ion batteries in academia/industrial. PhD preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in electrolyte formulation and characterization.
- Strong understanding about electrolyte development for different anode/cathode chemistry and for different applications such as high voltage, high temperature, rate, low temperature performance…
- Strong understanding about interaction of electrolyte with electrode interface/interphase as well as in bulk electrolyte.
- Having good understanding about electrochemical techniques such as LSV, CV, EIS, HPPC…
- Knowledge and Hands on experience material characterization such as Karl Fisher, ionic conductivity measurement, FTIR, NMR, GC-MS, ICP, SEM/EDX, XPS...
- Experience with building coin cells.
- Problem solving skills, think outside of the box.
- Desire to work in fast-paced environment.
- Passionate about research/work in lithium ion batteries, especially in EV. Willing making extra effort to get the job done!
- Work well in a team as well as individually.
- Nice to have:
- Experience in electrolyte development for EV.
- Hands on experience in electrolyte and additive synthesis.
- Experience in assembly pouch/cylindrical cell.
- Hands on experience with electrode processing including making slurry, coating, calendaring and drying.
- Experience in working with glovebox and dry-room, handling air-sensitive materials.
- Experience in data analysis tool such as Python.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.