Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
In this position you will...
- Develop a 1D/3D CAE tool for holistic thermal Vehicle EV’s management architecture including but not limited to refrigerant circuit, cabin (thermal/solar radiation included), battery circuit, and powertrain circuit (eMachine, inverter, DCDC converter, OBD, etc) using preferably Matlab/Simulink or other equivalent commercial software, such as GT-SUITE, AMESIM, TAITHERM, etc
- Couple the tool with 3D front-end model, e.g. STAR-CCM+, to incorporate and evaluate the impact of front-end design
- Interface with thermal engineering to define assumptions and input for CAE and apply the tool to guide system design and component sizing
- Interface with attribute engineering to assess the impact of system performance on vehicle attribute, range, and aerodynamic efficiency
- Interface with control team to develop robust control strategy and validate control logic
- Assist in draft of control specs (high-level functions) and SIL/HIL/MBD test
- Interface with body, studio, and attribute engineering to ensure optimal design and integration of active grille shutters and front-end module
- Interface with battery and powertrain engineering to ensure thermal requirements on battery and drive unit are met
- Work closely with suppliers in components sizing and system architectural optimization
- Develop and draft test procedures for model validation and data correlation
- Compile and present CAE data in internal and external meetings
- Be the owner/leader of CAE to support technical delivery, design validation, concept definition and resolution of thermal simulation
- Ensure project deliverables are understood in detail and resources planned accordingly for green gateway accomplishment
- Advanced degree (MS or PhD) with specialty in thermo fluids and CAE is a must
- Min 3+ years of experience related to Automotive Thermal CAE
- Understanding of thermodynamic cycle and refrigerant/coolant components, including compressor, heat exchangers, valves, pumps, and sensors
- Proficiency with Matlab/Simulink is highly desired
- Proficiency with 1D/3D CAE tool such as GT-SUITE, AMESIM, TAITHERM is desired
- Proficiency with CAD tool (CATIA) is a plus
- Prior experience in developing and validating CAE tool for holistic thermal management system is a must
- Prior experience in thermal chamber and climatic wind tunnel testing is a plus
- Ability to work and communicate effectively among cross-functional teams
- Ability to work independently and proactively in fast-paced environment
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.