Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Design and release HVAC module in the heat pump system, which includes HVAC case and inside components such as heat exchangers, pressure/temperature sensors, and PTC heaters
- Interface with thermal engineering and to characterize performance target of HVAC module, including airflow, cooling capacity, heating capacity, etc
- Interface with attribute engineering to ensure vehicle-level requirements are met
- Interface with vehicle integration and other affected cross-functional team, such as instrument panel (IP), to identify packaging space of HVAC case, conduct and support packaging study
- Work closely with suppliers on case design, airflow analysis (numerical and experimental), and component sizing
- Provide guidance and direction to suppliers through sourcing process, pre-production and production-phase development
- Develop and draft engineering specs for HVAC case, heat exchangers, pressure/temperature sensors, and PTC heaters
- Develop and draft other foundation documents including risk assessment/management, DFMEA, DVP, and Functional Safety
- Create DV (design verification) and PV (production verification) plans/procedures and coordinate physical testing to validate functionality and reliability of HVAC module per engineering documentation
- Be the owner/leader to support technical delivery, design reviews, concept definition and resolution of HVAC module
- Manage and coordinate all BOMs (Enovia direct experience preferred) in HVAC module, piece cost, investment cost, weight target, and part procurement for all pre-production build phases
- Evaluate products, parts, processes for cost efficiency and reliability in DFMEA, DVP&R and PFMEA
- Ensure all designs meet Design for Manufacture (DFM) and Design for Assembly (DFA) standards for both internal and external manufacturing supply options
- Create production release plans and execute with no late release and no late parts for the build phase
- Ensure project deliverables are understood in detail and resources planned accordingly for green gateway accomplishment
- Minimum BSME degree with in mechanical/automotive engineering
- At least 3-5+ years of experience related to automotive design, release, and production
- Detailed knowledge of relevant manufacturing techniques of HVAC modules and heat exchanger components
- Thermal management performance experience directly with EV’s
- Experience with heat Pump HVAC module’s architecture, including HVAC case, heat exchangers, sensors, and PTC heaters is a must
- Proficiency with CAD tool (CATIA) is a must
- Analytical or numerical capability on sizing of heat exchangers and PTC heaters
- Prior experience on HVAC Validation Process (DVPR), DV and PV testing is desired
- Proficiency in GD&T, tolerance stack-up analyses
- Prior experience on one full product cycle from concept creation to production is desired
- Proficiency with CFD tool for HVAC airflow analysis is a plus
- Ability to work and communicate effectively among cross-functional teams
- Ability to work independently and proactively in fast-paced environment
- Familiarity with electric vehicle thermal management& control protocols (LIN, CAN).
- Experience in DFM, DFA, DFMEA and PFMEA
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.