Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
In this position you will...
- Lead the development and production Design and Release of the HVAC / Thermal comfort system of the all-new electrified vehicle platform with a team of highly motivated individuals working towards a common goal of re-defining the automobile
- Author, maintain, and communicate system and sub-system level requirements from cradle-to-grave for a clean sheet vehicle climate control system, including HVAC unit, air path handling, filtration, and ducting
- Develop clean sheet cabin climate control software requirements for Rivian’s product portfolio, including multi-zone automatic temperature control logic
- Interface with thermal engineering and to characterize performance target of HVAC module, including airflow, cooling capacity, heating capacity, heat pump attributes, etc.
- Develop and draft engineering specs for HVAC case, heat exchangers, pressure/temperature sensors, and PTC heaters
- Interface with attribute engineering to ensure vehicle-level requirements are met
- Interface with vehicle integration and other affected cross-functional team, such as Interior team, durability, NVH, safety, and regulation for implications, to identify Design optimization.
- Work closely with suppliers on case design, airflow analysis (numerical and experimental), and component sizing
- Work with analysis and integration engineers to decompose requirements to actionable development activities
- Integrate requirement and validation process into Rivian-established toolchain
- Evaluate products, parts, processes for cost efficiency and reliability in DFMEA, DVP&R and PFMEA
- System and vehicle level validation plans. Create DV (design verification) and PV (production verification) plans/procedures and coordinate physical testing to validate functionality and reliability of HVAC Thermal comfort per engineering documentation
- Support vehicle testing and validation activities throughout the development cycle of the vehicle, including Bench testing, Climatic Wind Tunnels and summer/winter test trips
- Ensure all designs meet Design for Manufacture (DFM) and Design for Assembly (DFA) standards for both internal and external manufacturing supply options
- Be the owner/leader to support technical delivery, design reviews, concept definition and resolution of comfort and HVAC Thermal System
- Hold regular reviews to assess program status and resolve issues
- Manage and coordinate all BOMs (Enovia direct experience preferred) in HVAC system, piece cost, investment cost, weight target, and part procurement for all pre-production build phases
- Create production release plans and execute with no late release and no late parts for the build phase
- MASTER’S degree with in mechanical/automotive engineering
- 5+ years of experience related to automotive design, release, and production
- Strong understanding of vehicle climate control concepts, including Heat pump system and electrified vehicle-specific knowledge
- High level of understanding in climate control requirements and ability to develop new requirements
- Integration and validation expertise in vehicle climate control systems
- High aptitude in problem-solving and open-minded approach to engineering
- Experience throughout full vehicle development cycle, including launch
- Experience includes:
- Thermal system components design and release experience
- Experience with HVAC Thermal System, heat pump, heat exchangers/ cooling modules
- Thermal management performance experience directly with EV’s
- Managing BOM content and attributes in PLM/SAP systems (Enovia direct experience preferred)
- Managing BOM variants and facilitating part revisions through approval and implementation processes
- Launching new models/products into automotive high-volumeproduction
- Working with manufacturing teams and suppliers to understand and implement DFM/DFA learnings
- ENOVIA proficiency is required, JAMA is a Plus
- Proficiency in CAD; CATIA V5/V6 strongly needed
- Proficiency in GD&T, tolerance stack-up analyses
- Experience in working with multiple suppliers and analysis of internal & external testing reports.
- Extensive experience in DFMEA, DVP&R and PFMEA.
- Detailed knowledge of relevant manufacturing techniques of various heat exchanger components
- Familiarity with electric vehicle thermal management& control protocols (LIN, CAN). Familiarity with up and coming technologies within thermal management & EV’s
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude with minimal supervision is expected. Ability to be hands on and assist during prototype builds.
- Experience in HVAC thermal components manufacturing as well as best practices and processes required to achieve a high level of quality while being open to new processes/practices.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.