Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Develop cell level physics-based level electrochemical-thermal models
- Translate the physics-based understanding to simplified engineering models.
- Analyze the test data, derive thermodynamic/ physical/chemical processes to explain various aging/performance data sets and develop simplified models to explain those
- Use statistical tools which can be used connect cell level models to pack level incorporating cell-to-cell variations
- Develop models to work on guide cell designs
- Develop innovative techniques to improve accuracy of the models at extreme usage scenario (high currents, low temperatures etc.).
- Support development of battery life models to estimate capacity loss, resistance rise, pressure change etc.
- Guide experiments to develop optimal test procedures to improve model calibration process and the model accuracy.
- Develop simplified ways to correlate change in model parameters over temperature and age of the battery for various aging conditions
- Drive the decision for cell’s selection (chemistry and design) and system design based on the modeling and test results.
- Mentor cell modelers and cell engineers.
- Define pathways to improve cell/pack design with enhanced performance and lifetime; develop intellectual property for Rivian’s battery cell technology.
- Review academic literature of lithium-ion cells and beyond in order to advance Rivian’ battery cell technology.
- Must have:
- PhD with lithium-ion battery modeling experience
- At least 2 years of industrial experience in modeling the cell and pack performance
- Awareness of high-level requirements for automotive batteries
- Good handle on Statistical Methods
- Strong understanding about electrochemistry and thermal of lithium-ion cells and pack
- Strong understanding about cell’s components and their interactions inside the cell.
- Familiarity with important considerations while connecting cell models to pack models
- Strong optimization skills and numerical skills.
- Familiarity of battery behavior charges over temperature and age of the battery
- Familiarity with various battery testing procedures.
- Experience in MATLAB/Simulink.
- Problem solving skills, think outside of the box.
- Desire to work in fast-paced environment.
- Passionate about research/work; make extra effort to get the job done; Work well both in individual and in a team. Excellent communication skill.
- Experience in reduced order modeling is a plus.
- Experience of degradation modeling is a plus.
- Experience with COMSOL is a plus.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.