Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Develop battery performance models including equivalent circuit models, reduced order models
- Optimize the model using test data at various temperatures, SOCs and State of Health.
- Develop quick and reliable optimization techniques for such models using the understanding of battery physics.
- Connect the cell level models to the pack level with the understanding of nonuniformities at the pack level
- Develop innovative techniques to improve accuracy of the models at extreme usage scenario.
- Guide experiments to develop optimal test procedures to improve model calibration process and the model accuracy.
- Develop simplified ways to correlate change in model parameters over temperature and age of the battery for various aging conditions
- Model thermal behavior of the cell and pack and their effect to battery cell lifetime.
- Apply model to various automotive use cases to develop specifications for cell that meets power requirements.
- Drive the decision for cell’s selection (chemistry and design) and system design based on the modeling and test results.
- Work with senior modelers and customers of models
- Define pathways to improve cell/pack design with enhanced performance and lifetime; develop intellectual property for Rivian’s battery cell technology.
- Review academic literature of lithium-ion cells and beyond to advance Rivian’ battery cell technology.
- Must have:
- Minimum BS degree in engineering. MS or PhD preferred.
- Academic or industrial experience in modeling the cell and pack performance
- Awareness of various methods to develop cell performance models including equivalent circuit models and reduced order models
- Understanding about electrochemistry and thermal of lithium-ion cells and pack
- Understanding about cell’s components and their interactions inside the cell.
- Understanding about the relationship between pack design with performance and lifetime.
- Familiarity with various battery testing procedures
- Strong optimization skills and numerical skills.
- Familiarity of battery behavior changes over temperature and age of the battery
- Passion for batteries in electric vehicle applications: limitations, considerations, and trends
- Experience in MATLAB/Simulink.
- Problem solving skills, think outside of the box.
- Desire to work in fast-paced environment.
- Passionate about research/work; make extra effort to get the job done; Work well both in individual and in a team. Excellent communication skill. Humble to learn.
- Experience in SOC, SOH, SOP prediction is a plus.
- Experience with Filtering techniques is a plus
- Experience with COMSOL is a plus.
- 1-2 years of modeling experience in automotive applications is a plus
- Familiarity with the modeling battery behavior for automotive drive cycles
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.