Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
WHAT WE DO:
The Thermal software team develops sophisticated algorithms to manage the thermal performance of the powertrain, battery packs, heat pump, and cabin HVAC systems. As part of the team, I will be collaborating with designers, engineering, manufacturing, firmware, and service and require the ability to apply engineering fundamentals to model and design thermal systems. Our team is constantly challenged by a wide range of problems like optimal thermal controls of batteries for charging, process control for heat pumps, drive systems, electronics, and HVAC. Please join us if you are interested in developing more brilliant cabin comfort and thermal controls software for features like battery temperature controls, automatic climate control, and Cabin pre-conditioning.
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Develop control-oriented system models and use them to develop and refine control strategies and drive their implementation
- Research and develop estimations and control theory models for thermal management of powertrain, battery, and cabin HVAC.
- Develop software and optimize software to meet all the design criteria to meet customer expectations.
- Write high-quality C code for Realtime embedded systems.
- Work with firmware and integration engineers to implement, test, and debug these algorithms
- Model development and data analysis in Matlab/Simulink
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 5+ years’ experience within the thermal engineering industry, with specific knowledge within the Automotive industry
- Excellent background in linear systems analysis, observers, and state-estimation, and first principles design and analysis of control systems
- Excellent proficiency with creating controls-oriented dynamic system models of thermal, hydraulic, or mechanical systems in Matlab/Simulink/Python etc.
- Good understanding of Thermal management in electric vehicle and a good first principles approach to solve problem
- Strong understanding of fundamentals of heat-transfer and thermodynamics (HVAC), devices like pumps, radiators, refrigerant systems, etc.
- Experience, understanding, and intuition for the physics of basic electric propulsion, motion control systems, and heat transfer
- Familiarity with Vector and/or Peak CAN based diagnostic tools or ability to learn quickly
- Experience delivering customer-facing software and hardware.
- A degree in either Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Software Engineering
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.