Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
In this position you will be responsible for the development of control architecture algorithm and calibration for electric traction motors for electric vehicle applications.
- Develop control algorithms and calibrations for high power electric drive system consisting of high voltage power converters and electric motors (such as surface mounted and interior permanent magnet machines, induction machines, and other machine technologies)
- Perform extensive motor characterization based on maximum torque per ampere, while meeting torque accuracy requirement and enhancing system efficiency over the entire operating regions
- Lead algorithm design team and work with cross-functional teams
- Perform simulation and analysis of electric drives and high voltage power electronics
- Optimize motor control performance by ensuring excellent control stability in closed-loop current control regulation and field-weakening operation
- Plan and perform algorithm and calibration development and testing in hardware-in-the-loop (HIL), high-voltage dynamometer, and vehicle test environment
- Work as part of a fast-paced, diverse team of professionals supporting component development and subsystem and vehicle integration
- Ensure success integration in meeting performance specification of the electric drive system when integrating with various sub-components or systems at the vehicle level
- Stays abreast of new technologies and competitive methods and products
- M.S. in Electrical Engineering
- Knowledge of theory and principle of AC electric machine drive and three-phase switching power converter topologies
- Experience in developing digital control algorithms for 3-phase switching power converters and AC electric machines
- Fluency in Model-based design using Matlab/Simulink, modeling and simulation of electric drives
- Fluency in C and C++ programming languages
- Excellent interpersonal skills in a fast-paced team
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Able to work with minimum supervision and full autonomy
- Hands-on experience working in high voltage high power test environment
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.