Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
- Develop advanced motor control algorithms and calibrations for high power electric drive system consisting of high voltage power converters and electric motors (such as surface mounted and interior permanent magnet machines, induction machines, and other machine technologies)
- Develop cross-functional vehicle level controls features, such as speed controller, active driveline damping, anti-lash controls, battery pre-conditioning strategy, intelligent electric drive safe-state fault handling response
- Lead requirement definition of advanced motor controls and cross-functional vehicle level features
- Lead algorithm design team and work with cross-functional teams
- Perform simulation and analysis of electric drive system
- Plan and perform algorithm and calibration development and testing in hardware-in-the-loop (HIL), high-voltage dynamometer, and vehicle test environment
- Ensure success integration in meeting performance specification of the electric drive system when integrating with various sub-components or systems at the vehicle level
- Work as part of a fast-paced, diverse team of professionals supporting component development and subsystem and vehicle integration
- Supervise, provide mentorship and technical guidance to motor controls and calibration engineers
- Stays abreast of new technologies and competitive methods and products
- Submit patents and trade secrets to advance Rivian Intellectual Property portfolio in the field of propulsion drive controls
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, with dissertation research in advanced motor controls design
- 3+ years EV or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of theory and principle of AC electric machine drive and three-phase switching power converter topologies
- Experience in developing digital control algorithms for 3-phase switching power converters and AC electric machines
- Fluency in Model-based design using Matlab/Simulink, modeling and simulation of electric drives
- Fluency in C and C++ programming languages
- Excellent interpersonal skills in a fast-paced team
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Able to work with minimum supervision and full autonomy
- Hands-on experience working in high voltage high power laboratory and/or vehicle test environment
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.