Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
We are looking for a Data Scientist who will help drive our Charging and Energy Storage team’s efforts to model and optimize large-scale vehicle fleets’ charging and energy needs. The ideal candidate is adept at using large data sets in conjunction with machine learning techniques to find opportunities for process optimization as well as developing models to test the effectiveness of different courses of action. They must have strong experience using a variety of data mining/data analysis methods, using a variety of data tools, building and implementing models, using/creating algorithms, and creating/running simulations. In addition, the ideal candidate will have experience deploying machine learning models into production and writing production-grade code.
They must have a proven ability to ingest business needs and drive business results with their data-based insights. They must be comfortable working with a wide range of stakeholders and functional teams. The right candidate will have a passion for discovering solutions hidden in large data sets and working with stakeholders to improve business outcomes.
This is what you’ll do:
- Mine and analyze data from multiple sources to drive optimization and improvement of dynamic fleet vehicle charging algorithms
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques
- Develop customized optimization algorithms to apply to data sets
- Use models to increase and optimize energy savings, battery lifetime, revenue generation, cost reductions and other business outcomes.
- Build reliable, fast, and dynamic data tools and pipelines
- Mature research and prototype projects into persistent, cloud-hosted web services
- Coordinate with different functional teams to implement models and monitor outcomes
- Work with stakeholders throughout the organization to identify opportunities for leveraging company data to drive business solutions
This is what you’ll need:
- 5-7 Years of experience manipulating data sets, developing statistical models, and maturing model prototypes into production
- Bachelor’s, Master’s Or PhD In Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or another quantitative field
- Strong problem solving skills with an emphasis on product development
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for coordinating across teams
- A drive to learn and master new technologies and techniques
- Experience working with and creating data architectures
- Extensive experience developing software with Python and leveraging leading numerical and machine learning libraries (NumPy, Pandas, scikit-learn, TensorFlow, etc.)
- Knowledge and experience with additional languages: C++, R, SQL, etc.
- Familiarity with Linux
- Familiarity with monte carlo analysis of complex systems
- Knowledge of advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests and proper usage, etc.) and experience with applications
- Knowledge and experience in machine learning techniques: GLM/Regression, Random Forest, Boosting, Trees, Bayesian Optimization, etc.
- Experience using cloud-based services to scale and deploy tools: Amazon Elastic Container Service, Lambda, etc.
- Experience visualizing/presenting data for stakeholders using: Tableau, Plotly, ggplot, etc.
- Experience with distributed data/computing tools: Spark, Databricks, etc.
This is where you’ll work:
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.