Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
The Digital Commerce Team is responsible for the end-to-end implementation of the digital experience outside the vehicle across web, mobile app and in-store. To that end, we are developing a world-class commerce platform that will make learning about and purchasing electric adventure vehicles intuitive, seamless and fun.
We are looking for a principal engineer to join our Vehicle Management Team who can provide architectural guidance, define the tech roadmap and drive features from concept to launch that interact with our vehicles remotely via the Rivian mobile app.
Does the idea of starting from scratch to building something truly amazing excite you? If so, we’re looking for you to bring your ideas and talents and build experiences that match our amazing brand. This is an exciting opportunity to join a high performing team early and lay the technical foundation for our digital commerce platform. This role will impact future vehicle and software technologies, roadmaps across the company as well as helping us minimize our carbon footprint.
- Establish and lead technology decisions & development implementations by partnering with product, programs, development, and other stake holders.
- Provide architectural guidance & mentorship to up-level engineering & operational excellence
- Actively improve the level of craftsmanship by developing best practices and defining best strategies
- Work closely with and influence product & technology partners to help define roadmap.
- Comfortable navigating trade-offs to bring the right solutions for long & short.
- Ability to clearly communicate thoughts and ideas by rapid prototyping.
- Data driven mindset with strong attention to detail.
- Develop and be accountable for critical vendor partnerships needed for success.
- Communicate and support effectively with the various internal teams on dependencies and schedule.
- Help hiring and mentoring the next level of engineering
- 15 years of experience with software development, mobile app and distributed systems together with large scale consumer electronic, automotive and IOT based mobile product launches to the market.
- 10 years of experience of native iOS, Android and React Native and mobile application development.
- Knowledge of Apple’s and Android design principles, technologies, development and application interface guidelines.
- Familiarity with the best in class Software and mobile app development practices.
- Good understanding of user-friendly, immersive, reactive user interface development.
- Great understanding of caching, security and privacy principles
- Experience developing with GraphQL and RESTful APIs using frameworks and languages such as Spring Boot, NodeJS, Golang, python etc.
- Good understanding of CI/CD principles
- Experience with Agile Development, SCRUM or a similar software development life cycle process
- Experience on technical and software project management of practices (Agile - Scrum, Hybrid, Kanban, Waterfall).
- Mindset to deliver innovation while building & shipping software at scale
- Strong technical background in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technology field
- Excellent inter-personal skills with the ability to collaboratively work with and influence cross-functional.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.