Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
THIS IS WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Lead field review of Rivian products, assuring potential quality and safety related concerns are identified, prioritized and addressed appropriately.
- Develop the Rivian engineering field processes to assure rapid deployment of containment and effective countermeasure activities for quality and safety related concerns.
- Create the infrastructure, tools and companywide processes to allow a data rich understanding of potential concerns in the field.
- Lead and direct investigations that stem out of the product integrity reviews, including driving priorities cross functionally for rapid and effective problem resolution.
- Provide guidance on application of effective methods for risk reduction of field concerns.
- Represent Rivian as the primary safety technical expert with regulatory agencies worldwide.
- Drive decision making on product recalls, campaigns and any required action to assure fielded product integrity.
- Create an effective field quality assurance program, defining the engineering response and escalation path.
- Lead executive reviews on field quality and safety matters.
- Collaborate with other team members in legal, as well as cross teaming with partners in the areas of reliability, failure analysis, functional safety, crash safety, behavioral safety, quality, service, design, manufacturing, supply chain and other key partners across Rivian in order to orchestrate a consistent and effective focus on field safety.
- Bring novel approaches to fleet safety by integrating safety processes during deployment and support of fleet vehicles.
THIS IS WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- A bachelor’s (and preferably post-graduate degree) in a technical discipline such as engineering or science.
- 10 + years of direct experience in leading field investigations with a focus on safety issues, preferably in an automotive tech environment.
- Experience in working with multiple jurisdiction regulatory agencies (e.g., U.S., Europe, China).
- Experience partnering with legal teams on progressing complex technical investigations.
- A deep understanding of field risk management and mitigation.
- Experience in a startup environment and working cross functionally across various functions.
- Experience consulting as a technical expert witness in complex electromechanical issues.
- A desire to create a respectful, fun, inclusive and inspiring team and company culture.
THIS IS WHAT WOULD MAKE YOU STAND OUT:
- Direct experience in conducting and leading a team to conduct electric vehicle crash investigations including serving in a similar role for the electric vehicle division of an established OEM or for an EV company.
- Deep knowledge of automobile engineering, dynamics and
- Direct experience with a technology start up organization.
- Demonstrated record of successful management experience.
THIS IS WHERE YOU'LL WORK:
Location: California or Washington, D.C. area
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.