Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
THIS IS WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Design, develop, implement and lead litigation-focused Legal Operations projects (e.g., large-scale subpoena response process; Service of Process workflow).
- Support attorneys in all aspects of Rivian’s litigation and pre-litigation disputes, including fact investigation (document collection and management; witness interview scheduling, etc.), fact and expert discovery, motion practice, mediation and potential settlement, trial/arbitration and appeal.
- Develop and implement strategies to streamline litigation-focused processes and procedures.
- Prepare, distribute and track Litigation Hold Notices.
- Respond to subpoenas and third-party requests for information.
- Work with IT to develop eDiscovery processes and procedures; source necessary eDiscovery tools and applications; work with eDiscovery vendors.
- Maintain litigation-related files and internal litigation calendar.
- In collaboration with the Chief Litigation Counsel, create and manage litigation risk management processes.
- Conduct legal research on procedural and substantive topics.
- Investigate and handle small claims matters.
- Assist with periodic financial, executive and Legal team reporting on litigation matters.
- Manage and assist with special projects, as assigned.
THIS IS WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Bachelor’s degree or Paralegal Certificate.
- 10+ years experience supporting an active litigation practice; bonus for experience working in an in-house legal department.
- Deep knowledge of eDiscovery practices and familiarity with eDiscovery tools and applications, such as Microsoft365 eDiscovery or Relativity.
- Legal Operations experience.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team-oriented environment; no sharp elbows.
- Demonstrated track record as a solutions-oriented self-starter.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment.
- Clear communication and exceptional organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and with cross-functional clients.
- Bonus: experience supporting one or more of the following types of litigation: supplier disputes or automotive products liability, intellectual property or regulatory matters.
- Bonus: advanced degree, such as JD or MBA.
- Bonus: people management experience.
THIS IS WHERE YOU'LL YOU'LL WORK:
Department: Legal & IP
Location: Irvine, CA or Palo Alto, CA
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.