Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Work collaboratively with the IP and engineering teams on projects and harvesting sessions to proactively grow our patent portfolio to reflect our business
- Conduct prior art searches, patent landscape analysis, and mapping IP portfolio to products using docket management and patent search software
- Assist in preparing patent applications aligned with Rivian products/processes/designs for inventions by inventors
- Prosecute office action responses and provide detailed guidance to our U.S. and Foreign outside counsel for the preparation of responses to office actions
- Perform on a wide range of projects/issues including portfolio management, freedom-to-operate, competitor analysis, due diligence, licensing, and opinion work
- Conduct inventor interviews and intellectual property training with focus on patent and trade secret protection
- Bachelor Degree in Engineering. A degree in electronics, software, controls, or electro-mechanical arts is strongly preferred
- Registered to practice before the USPTO, the European Patent Office or any other patent office
- At least 8 years of experience in patent operations ideally in technology field
- Experience with Anaqua including HyperView reporting and searching
- Curious, fast learner, organized, strong oral and written communicator, and ability to work efficiently with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated experience handling complex technical, patent, trade secret and copyright related issues
- High level of interpersonal skills including the ability to work in a team
- Knowledge and understanding of automotive industry and business needs is desired
- Exposure to drafting and negotiating IP related agreements is also preferred
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.