Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Own and be responsible for the dangerous goods process as it relates to transportation of product for which Rivian is the shipper per 49CFR, IATA, and IMDG regulations.
- Review all dangerous goods shipments that originate from a Rivian location, ensuring they are properly classified for the respective mode requested; the package meets all applicable testing and labeling requirements; the proper documentation is generated and provided to the required parties, and; the packages are successfully tendered to the operator and delivered to the consignee without incident.
- Be the primary resource for providing dangerous goods related guidance to internal customers, and work closely with warehouse partners to answer any questions that pertain to outbound material.
- Create process documentation for common items frequently shipped from Rivian work spaces, outlining packaging and labeling requirements, and provide guidance for non-standard items on an adhoc basis.
- Support the broader logistics team by ensuring members maintain proper certifications commensurate with their job function.
- Develop and maintain lists of supplies and materials to be stocked at all Rivian locations to ensure existing products can be properly shipped without additional delay.
- Provide oversight on condition of returnable crates, and work with supplier packaging team to develop conditions as well as process for repairs and replacements.
- Anticipate challenges and disruptions to transportation flow and design mitigation strategies.
- Drive company compliance with logistics processes and global trade regulations.
- This is primarily a tactical role focused on execution and operations.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Logistics/Transportation, or equivalent experience
- Active multi-modal dangerous goods certification in 49CFR, IATA, and IMDG highly preferred, previous experience with dangerous goods is a must
- Flexibility to think strategically and act tactically
- Ability to gain trust and communicate constructively with stakeholders across the organization to resolve complicated issues while enforcing compliance.
- In-depth understanding of domestic shipment execution, as well as experience with shipping Dangerous Goods and/or Hazardous Materials.
- Experience working within a Transportation Management System (TMS), hands-on experience with SAP is a plus.
- Ability to effectively work within a team, and prioritize tasks and responsibilities in a culture of rapid change.
- Creative problem-solving skills, and ability to meet deadlines.
- Passion for developing and managing a transparent culture and cross-departmental relationships.
- Exceptional communication skills: written, oral, and presentational/educational.
- Strong knowledge of multi-modal (air, parcel, ground, ocean) logistics operations.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.