Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
The Lead EHS Specialist role must possess for a wide array of safety expertise: OSHA, ANSI, NFPA, RIA, etc. This role will also help to gather and maintain environmental, health and safety records and data. This role must demonstrate leadership in all aspects of plant safety. The EHS Specialist will assist in job hazard assessments, inspection of personal protective equipment, and evaluation of standard operating procedures. This role will work within state and federal safety regulations.
- Embedded 1:1 departmental support
- Generalist with some subject matter specialization
- Always needs to know who the full subject matter expert is
- Implements EHS workplans as they apply to the department, using wider manufacturing plan/guidance
- Identify departmental needs based on data/trends and communicate gaps to EHS Manager for addition to business plan
- Ensures department is in compliance with all permits, training, regulatory requirements
- Primary contact for events occurring in the department and is responsible for all Gensuite handling of cases
- Generates incident alerts (within 2 hours of event) for review/circulation by EHS Manager
- Supports work plan development/implementation within subject matter specialization (i.e. LOTO, compressed gasses, etc)
- Develops a risk matrix for their department, track actions and ensure status is communicated to departmental leadership
- Provides training to others within their skillset
- Liaises with Environmental Team for compliance activities and discrete tasks
- Involves "Pit Crew" when subject matter expertise is needed in IH, Ergo, Training and/or equipment safety
- Attends department staff meetings, shift startups or other meetings
- Responds to events as they occur and act to their level of training
- Escalates issues/events as necessary for appropriate action to be taken
- Gensuite data integrity with stakeholder input
- Participate on at least 1 working group
- Moves IIR reports to to/from log daily
- Close all incident reports within 14 days (except when action items are outstanding
Bachelor of Science degree in Safety or related field preferred or commensurate knowledge and experience.
Basic understanding of blueprint reading and schematics
Basic understanding of industrial hygiene
- 2-5 years of EHS experience in a leadership capacity
Must have excellent organizational, analytical, and administrative skills
ESD and/or Battery Manufacturing experience is preferred
Knowledge and experience in construction safety (OSHA 1926)
Accountability and dependability
Possess ethics and integrity
Ability to work with minimal supervision
Adept at collecting and maintaining health, safety and environmental data with a high level of accuracy
Ability to build productive relationships with all levels of management
Highly proficient communicator, both written and verbal
Possess technical knowledge of health, safety and environmental topics
Shift will be days with the ability to work occasional nights/weekends, off hours, and holidays as needed to support the project
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.