Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
THIS IS WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Manage all aspects of Rivian’s product liability litigation, including fact investigation, case analysis, fact and expert discovery, motion practice, mediation and potential settlement, trial/arbitration and appeal.
- Advise internal clients regarding potential and ongoing disputes and risk management, with a focus on product liability.
- Work closely with Legal-Regulatory team to review product related issues and the interface between regulatory actions (e.g., recalls) and product liability risks.
- Provide strategic legal counsel regarding product liability laws and issues.
- Create, oversee and direct the implementation of litigation risk management processes, focused on product liability risks.
- Provide training and education to Rivian internal teams (particularly Engineering) regarding product liability risks and the role of in-house counsel.
- Evaluate, select and manage outside counsel; negotiate standard and alternative fee arrangements.
- Work with outside counsel to manage litigation matters to budget.
- Communicate with leadership and stakeholders regarding product liability litigation risks and status of ongoing litigation matters.
- In collaboration with the Chief Litigation Counsel, build and lead a team of attorneys and paralegals supporting product liability litigation.
- Assist with subpoena responses and other third-party requests for information.
- Manage special projects, as assigned.
THIS IS WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- J.D. degree from an ABA-approved law school.
- An active membership in good standing in the State Bar of California (or eligible to practice as Registered In House Counsel).
- 10+ years of litigation experience, with a strong preference for law firm and in-house experience.
- 5+ years of experience focused full-time on automotive products liability litigation.
- Extensive experience in all phases of automotive product liability litigation with a demonstrated track record of success in managing litigation matters.
- 4+ years of People Management experience, including managing and developing attorneys and other professionals, and team leadership experience.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team-oriented environment; no sharp elbows.
- Demonstrated experience as a solutions-oriented self-starter who provides practical advice in a manner that is understandable by non-lawyers.
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and work on any matter, no matter how big or small.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to work independently and with cross-functional clients.
- Bonus, nice to have: in house legal experience at an automotive OEM.
THIS IS WHERE YOU'LL WORK:
Department: Legal & IP
Preferred Location: Irvine, CA, but open to our other locations in Plymouth, MI, Washington, DC or Palo Alto, CA
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.