Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
The Smart Diagnostic Systems mission is to ensure our products are always capable of keeping our customers out on their adventure.
We achieve our mission by developing the most advanced integrated diagnostic system in the world; capable of proactively monitoring, analyzing and learning from our fleets throughout their lifecycle.
This role is a critical piece of our overall success and will guide a team of diagnostic system calibration engineers responsible to ensure robust calibration of the complete onboard diagnostic system. You will be responsible for planning, technical oversight, and guidance, with the ability to jump in and execute the work wherever necessary.
This is what you’ll do:
- Lead a team of diagnostic system calibration engineers to ensure a harmonious and robust implementation of the onboard diagnostic system.
- Ensure consistency of the calibration of the diagnostic system across the vehicle to facilitate a seamless in-vehicle experience while ensuring strong ability for fault detection that is robust against false passes and false indication of malfunction.
- Develop calibration methodologies, guidelines, procedures, and in-house best practices to ensure a consistent, effective, and efficient approach to calibration.
- Ensure the entire team is trained and proficient in the common calibration approach.
- Plan out and track the calibration activities and schedule across the Rivian programs to ensure all internal and external milestones are met.
- Support calibration engineers in the review of diagnostic monitoring strategies and algorithms as implemented in the ECUs’ software and develop calibration plans.
- Lead, oversee, and provide technical insights into the calibration activities for the diagnostic systems across the vehicle including calibration of diagnostic monitors, fault code storage and data management system, and routine controls.
- Review calibration reports upon completion of a project and identify and implement plans for future improvement.
- Seek out feedback from the diagnostic system test and validation team as well as other sources to improve calibration robustness.
- Identify and manage test assets and tools required to perform all calibration activities.
- Actively seek and implement unique methods to automate and increase efficiency of calibration activities.
- Work with the diagnostic system test and validation team to assess results of reliability testing and in-use performance evaluation of the diagnostic system, and seek calibration improvements based on this data.
- Collaborate with the diagnostic system development lead and diagnostic system test and calibration lead to ensure seamless communication and synergized progress across the team.
- Work with the diagnostics PM to provide regular, metric-based, project updates to management team on state of diagnostics across the vehicle domains.
this is what you’ll need:
- BS in Engineering (preferably Electrical, Mechanical, Mechatronics or Software related discipline);
- 7+ years of experience in an engineering role;
- 4+ years of experience in diagnostics and/or functional safety-related calibration;
- 2+ years of experience in technical leadership;
- Technical understanding of electric vehicle architecture;
- Ability to work hands-on with electromechanical (vehicle) systems;
- Effective at troubleshooting and root causing issues in complex systems;
- Familiarity with Vector and/or Peak CAN based tools;
- Familiarity with vehicle communication protocols (CAN, CANFD, DoCAN, DoIP, ETH, LIN, XCP, SENT, etc.);
- Familiarity with diagnostic standards (ISO-14229, SAE J2012, SAE J1979/ISO-15031, SAE J1962, etc.);
- Experience in OBD-II, (cyber)security, and telematics is a plus;
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex technical problems and deliver technical projects;
- Collaborate with multiple cross-functional disciplines, including external stakeholders;
- Think fast, prioritize, and make decisions that benefit Rivian as a whole using a first principles approach;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
This is where you’ll work:
Department: Smart Diagnostic Systems
Location: Irvine, CA
Travel up to 50% of the time, depending on program phase. Travel will be primarily to Normal, IL, Plymouth, MI, and Surprise, AZ but potentially environmental test locations worldwide as well.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.