Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Assist with RFQ preparation and review vendor proposals for manufacturing automation equipment ranging in size from single work cells to entire shops.
- Participate in various equipment buy-offs at vendor sites and at Rivian’s factory in Normal, IL for FAT, SAT, and safety.
- Participate in development of controls standards and specifications by feeding back lessons-learned and gaps from each project to ensure that future projects will run smoother.
- Continuously improve the production lines by reducing cycle time, reducing downtime, and improving quality.
- Troubleshoot any controls related downtime events on the production lines as a priority.
- Maintain, modify, and properly version control equipment programs, configuration files, and documentation as changes are implemented. This includes but is not limited to hardware, electrical, safety, pneumatic, network, PLC, HMI, Robot, SCADA, and MES.
- Add or remove network devices from the equipment as needed, updating network switch configurations as needed.
- Troubleshoot, improve, and add features to PLCs using Ladder Logic and/or Structured Text with an emphasis on code that is organized, structured, documented, maintainable and reusable.
- Troubleshoot, improve, and add features to HMIs to make them more user-friendly, intuitive and suitable for operating and troubleshooting equipment.
- Implement and make modifications to MES logic for production and performance management in the PLCs and HMIs.
- Ensure proper implementation of and modifications to (ANSI/RIA15.06/OSHA compliant) control reliable safety systems for safeguarding robots, gantries, conveyors, and other high volume manufacturing equipment.
- Assist in the installation and commissioning of new production lines as they land at the factory.
- Train Production and Maintenance teams in proper use of the equipment and troubleshooting from the HMI.
- Familiarity with common controls hardware components used in high-volume manufacturing.
- Hands-on experience integrating high volume manufacturing equipment.
- In-depth knowledge of Safety standards (ANSI/RIA15.06, OSHA).
- Experience participating in safety design reviews and validating equipment safeties during buy-off.
- In-depth knowledge of Electrical Standards (NFPA79, National Electric Code, UL508A).
- Experience developing electrical schematics using EPLAN, AutoCAD Electrical, or similar.
- Advanced proficiency programming industrial equipment using various IEC 61131-3 languages.
- Experience writing standard and safety PLC projects from scratch for high-volume manufacturing equipment using Rockwell, Siemens, or Beckhoff PLCs.
- Experience creating HMI projects from scratch for high-volume manufacturing equipment using FactoryTalk View, WinCC, Ignition, Wonderware, TwinCAT HMI, or similar.
- Experience setting up, programming, and troubleshooting industrial 6-axis robots such as Fanuc, ABB, Kawasaki, etc. is preferred.
- Experience designing topologies for and troubleshooting common fieldbus networks such as Ethernet/IP, EtherCAT, or Profinet.
- Knowledge of communications between machine PLCs and database systems
- Experience interfacing manufacturing equipment with Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES).
- BS/MS Electrical Engineering (or equivalent – Majors in: Controls and Computer Control Systems, Mechatronic Engineering, Automation Engineering, etc.) OR EQUIVILANT EXPERIENCE
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.