Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
This is what you’ll do:
- You will be responsible for the design and development of safety restraint components for the most adventurous vehicles on the planet.
- Own all aspects of development, from conceptual design to production release, for one or more of the following interior safety components: Airbags, seat belts, steering wheels, and occupant sensors.
- Interact with cross-functional teams to ensure the vehicle meets all applicable safety regulations.
- Manage full service suppliers to ensure all vehicle and system level requirements are met, ensure timely releases, mitigate project risk, and meet program timing.
- Lead collaborative development of restraints content including the interfaces within the Interior, and with other Body engineering, Studio Design, Perceived Quality, and Customer Experience Teams
- Responsible for design and engineering of components and sub-systems throughout program lifecycle, including: concept design, requirement writing, BOM management, simulation analysis, prototyping builds, validation testing, and production support.
- Responsible for meeting all targets, including safety, cost, mass, manufacturing, and timing. Work creatively to provide solutions where a gap to target exists.
- Lead problem solving activities with studio, suppliers, and other DREs
- Establish the system, subsystem, and component information through the Enovia PLM to Catia V6 environment
this is what you’ll need:
- Bachelors of Science in an engineering discipline
- 5+ years of first hand experience leading teams in developing, validating, and launching into production automotive restraint systems
- Strong understanding of the first-principle physics & requirements of safety restraints – the loads, forces, failure modes, and overall function of the systems
- Detailed understanding of component level design attributes and how they affect system level performance
- “Can-do” problem solving skills with the ability to identify manufacturing, financial, timing, and engineering impacts
- Strong ability to utilize engineering disciplines including the completion of DFMEA, DVP&R, GD&T, requirements, specifications, and drawings.
- Develop CAD data (2D sections and 3D studies) using CATIA V6 software
- Eagerness to collaborate cross-functionally in a dynamic environment where you are part of a passionate team
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task with ability to be flexible regarding evolving priorities
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.