Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL DO:
· Lead the design and engineering of a specific set of Interior systems and components across all Rivian projects.
· Ensure the systems and components you are responsible for are delivered robustly via the Rivian Development process with all applicable attributes. In particular; cost, mass, attributes, and Quality of Design. All areas to be delivered on time and to budget.
· Have complete responsibility of your commodity system content across all Rivian projects. Responsible for cradle to grave system ownership
· Be a true technical leader in their field and will be the ‘go-to’ person within Rivian for his/her commodity.
· The scope of the role covers all projects from future technology roadmaps, R&D, prototyping, series production and vehicles in the field.
· Work within a matrix organization whilst delivering towards project-based goals set by the program management team.
· lead a team of technical experts in their field consisting of design release engineers and design engineers.
· Set system and component technology & supplier roadmaps for future vehicle projects.
· Set component level cost, mass & attribute targets for each Rivian project.
· Production release responsible for your components across Interior. You will be the technical sign-off for your content.
· Lead collaborative development of your commodity including interfaces with Body & Interior engineering, studio design, attributes, commercial and customer experience teams
· Responsible for component release throughout the program lifecycle, including: concept design, supplier engagement, BOM management, systems requirements, simulation analysis, prototype builds, validation testing, and production support
· Support the development of best practices for design and release engineering through creating design guides and detailed commodity technical specifications
· Develop and manage part system, subsystem, and component information through Enovia PLM to Catia V6 environment
· Engage in debate and discussions during all design reviews as the subject matter expert for your commodity
· Be a champion of good, fundamental design in the Interior system and across the vehicle
· Develop a high level of technical competence within the in-house team in order to provide a significant and immediate DFM support to the design process without necessarily relying on suppliers
· Once suppliers are engaged, deliver prompt and accurate DFM input into the design process to achieve RFT releases and to avoid styling process delays
· Suppor all supplier selection and development with heavy interfaces to the purchasing and commercial team
· Ensure your team works closely with support functions like supply chain team to monitor current supplier performance and develop future supply strategies.
· Exhibiting the Rivian 101 in everything that you do
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
· Bachelor of Science in Engineering discipline
· A detailed knowledge of an automotive design and development process, system requirements, and general engineering best practices
· Over 5 years’ experience of leading a team of engineers to deliver a vehicle program
· A system approach to design and development with the desire and curiosity to strive for continuous improvement
· A deep understanding of your commodity and the tradeoffs among design, package, function, production build and customer experience involved with these systems
· CAD design experience for your commodity including an excellent understanding of those systems & components which surround & interface to your commodity – Catia experience preferred but not required
· A strong understanding of the first-principle physics of your system – the loads, forces, overall function of the system and key attributes including knowledge of Interior Engineering Simulation and Analysis tools and processes
· An eagerness to work cross-functionally in a dynamic environment where you are part of a team – specifically this means active brainstorming, working on components that are not part of your commodity and sharing models as required to support the changing needs of an evolving vehicle and work environment
· Possess a detailed understanding of the manufacturing materials and processes utilized to produce your components
· Sound commercial and financial awareness.
THIS IS WHERE YOU’LL WORK:
Department: Interiors Engineering
Location: Irvine, CA
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.