Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
This is what you’ll do:
- Be responsible for Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW/MIG/MAG) system specification, implementation and process improvement for applications on body and battery structure throughout project lifecycle.
- Work with manufacturing team to ensure optimized production tooling design for robust GMAW process.
- Partner with production operations engineers and leaders to ensure successful ramp and long term production.
- Perform continues GMAW process optimization in current and future model production environment.
- Develop new GMAW methods in conjunction with product engineers, materials engineers and equipment vendors.
- Provide production feedback to design engineering teams to ensure manufacturability of product without compromising functionality and performance.
- Lead and assist production in all quality and process related weld topics and issues.
- Lead and implement weld control plans and requirements.
- Asist and develop PM procedures, PFMEA, weld training program and champion the training practices.
- Be responsible for and ensure safety, quality, cost, timing & throughput targets are being achieved on all projects.
- Be part of a world-class engineering team, with a focus on high quality work and rapid project deployment.
- Challenge assumptions that are not backed up by a thorough engineering evaluation.
This is what you’ll need:
- Bachelor’s degree in welding engineering or similar technical fields.
- 5+ years of hands-on experience of robotic GMAW process design, equipment specification, system configuration, parameter optimization, and in process monitoring in automotive or related industry.
- Deep understanding of tooling impacts to the GMAW process, the pros and cons of different GMAW equipment (Lincoln, Miller, Fronuis, etc.), processes (CMT, PMC, RapidX, RapidS, etc. ), welding wires, gas mix, reamers, welding consumables, etc.
- Deep understanding of weldability and brazibility of steel, aluminum in GMAW process.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Experienced in working within 2D & 3D CAD environments.
- Knowledgeable in high and low volume manufacturing skills (cycle time, quality control, efficiency, equipment selection, return on investment, etc.).
- Demonstrate ability to solve complex technical problems and see the solution implemented to a high level of accuracy & quality.
- Ability to follow general guidance on deliverables and self-guided to develop a path to completion.
- Capable of working as a member of a team across several cross functional disciplines, including vendors.
This is where you’ll work:
Department: Manufacturing Engineering
Location: Palo Alto
Travel as required to other Rivian engineering and production centers as well as project related partner sites.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.