Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
This is what you’ll do:
- Be responsible for mechanical joining system specification, implementation, validation and process improvement for applications on closure, body structure, battery frame throughout project lifecycle.
- Work with manufacturing team to ensure optimized production tooling design for robust mechanical joining process.
- Partner with production operations engineers and leaders to ensure successful ramp and long term production.
- Perform continued mechanical joining process optimization in current and future model production environment.
- Develop new mechanical joining methods in conjunction with product engineers, materials engineers and equipment vendors.
- Provide production feedback to design engineering teams to ensure manufacturability of product without compromising functionality and performance.
- Lead and assist production in all quality and process related joining topics and issues.
- Lead and implement weld control plans and requirements.
- Asist and develop PM procedures, PFMEA, weld training program and champion the training practices.
- Be responsible for and ensure safety, quality, cost, timing & throughput targets are being achieved on all projects.
- Be part of a world-class engineering team, with a focus on high quality work and rapid project deployment.
- Challenge assumptions that are not backed up by a thorough engineering evaluation.
This is what you’ll need:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or other similar technical fields.
- 5+ years of hands-on experience of robotic mechanical joining process design, equipment specification, system configuration, parameter optimization, process validation, and in process monitoring in automative or related industry.
- Deep understanding of tooling impacts to the mechanical joining process, the pros and cons of different mechanical joining processes ( SPR, FDS, RivTac, Clinch, EJOT, FlexWeld, FlowForm, Friction Stir, etc), in-line process systems.
- Deep understanding of joinability and limitations of steel, aluminum in differentsimilar and dissimilar metal mechanical joining applications.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Experienced in working within 2D & 3D CAD environments.
- Knowledgeable in high and low volume manufacturing skills (cycle time, quality control, efficiency, equipment selection, return on investment, etc.).
- Demonstrate ability to solve complex technical problems and see the solution implemented to a high level of accuracy & quality.
- Ability to follow general guidance on deliverables and self-guided to develop a path to completion.
- Capable of working as a member of a team across several cross functional disciplines, including vendors.
This is where you’ll work:
Department: Manufacturing Engineering
Location: Palo Alto
Travel as required to other Rivian engineering and production centers as well as project related partner sites.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.