Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
This is what you’ll do:
- Lead the design and engineering of safety restraint systems and components across all Rivian projects, including frontal airbags, side airbags, and seat belt systems.
- Be a true technical leader in their field and will be the ‘go-to’ person within Rivian for safety restaints.
- The scope of the role covers all projects from future technology roadmaps, R&D, prototyping, series production and vehicles in the field.
- Responsible for cradle to grave system ownership across all Rivian projects, including requirements, FMEA, and DVP&R at the system level.
- Support the development of best practices for design and release engineering through creating design guides and detailed commodity technical specifications.
- Ensure the safety restraint components are delivered robustly via the Rivian Development process with all applicable attributes. In particular; cost, mass, attributes, and Quality of Design.
- Set component level cost, mass & attribute targets for each Rivian project.
- Support Restraints DRE’s in technical review of designs, drawings, DFMEA, test results, and issue resolution.
- Provide technical sign off for production releases of restraints components across all programs.
- Lead collaborative development of your commodity including interfaces with Body & Interior engineering, studio design, attributes, supply chain, commercial and customer experience teams
- Engage in debate and discussions during all design reviews as the subject matter expert for your commodity
- Be a champion of good, fundamental design in the Interior system and across the vehicle
this is what you’ll need:
- BS in an engineering discipline (MS not needed but will account for in experience)
- 10+ years of first hand experience developing, validating, and launching restraints systems and components
- A detailed knowledge of an automotive design and development process, system requirements, and general engineering best practices
- Exceptional understanding of global safety regulations and consumer information tests, and the restraints attributes required to meet them.
- Experience with vehicle level safety testing, the failure modes, and the system tuning and countermeasures.
- Comprehensive knowledge of safety system validation strategies and the ability to apply to Rivian’s pojects.
- A system approach to design and development with the desire and curiosity to strive for continuous improvement
- A deep understanding of safety systems and the tradeoffs among design, package, function, production build and customer experience
- A strong understanding of the first-principle physics of safety restraints– the loads, forces, overall function of the system and key attributes including knowledge of Interior Engineering Simulation and Analysis tools and processes
- An eagerness to work cross-functionally in a dynamic environment where you are part of a team – specifically this means active brainstorming, working on components that are not part of your commodity and sharing models as required to support the changing needs of an evolving vehicle and work environment
- Possess a detailed understanding of the manufacturing materials and processes utilized to produce your components
- Sound commercial and financial awareness.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.