Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
The Smart Diagnostic Systems mission is to ensure our products are always capable of keeping our customers out on their adventure.
We achieve our mission by developing the most advanced integrated diagnostic system in the world; capable of proactively monitoring, analyzing and learning from our fleets throughout their lifecycle.
This role is a critical piece of our overall success. You will be responsible for end-to-end testing of the diagnostic system in the vehicle to ensure a robust, reliable on-board diagnostics system.
This is what you’ll do:
- Responsible for all elements required to carry out vehicle-level testing of the diagnostic system in order to validate the software as implemented by the domain controllers.
- Write test cases and test plans, document test results, and author detailed test results.
- Identify, source, commission, and upkeep all tools required to perform testing.
- Identify, document, and aid in the root causing of bugs encountered while testing.
- Work with the diagnostic system development and calibration engineers to identify necessary testing and validation activities.
- Execute in-vehicle-level testing of the on-board diagnostics system across the program lifecycle (i.e., in development of the diagnostic system; as regression within software release cycles; and complete fault insertion testing in evaluation of the production vehicle).
- Identify, develop, and implement methods to automate and streamline testing.
- Work with sub-system and component-level test teams to ensure appropriate test coverage exists (e.g., at HiL and SiL levels), and to synergize on test coverage.
- Carry out reliability testing and in-use performance evaluation of the diagnostic system.
- Support testing at the assembly plant and environmental test trips (e.g., hot weather, cold weather).
This is what you’ll need:
- BS in Engineering (preferably Electrical, Mechanical, Mechatronics or Software related discipline);
- 2+ years of experience in an engineering role (level negotiable based on experience);
- Preferably 2+ years of experience in vehicle testing related to diagnostics and/or functional safety;
- Technical understanding of electric vehicle architecture;
- Ability to work hands-on with electromechanical (vehicle) systems;
- Effective at troubleshooting and root causing issues in complex systems;
- Familiarity with Vector and/or Peak CAN based tools;
- Familiarity with vehicle communication protocols (CAN, CANFD, DoCAN, DoIP, ETH, LIN, XCP, SENT, etc.);
- Familiarity with diagnostic standards (ISO-14229, SAE J2012, SAE J1979/ISO-15031, SAE J1962, etc.);
- Experience in OBD-II, (cyber)security, and telematics is a plus;
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex technical problems and deliver technical projects;
- Collaborate with multiple cross-functional disciplines, including external stakeholders;
- Think fast, prioritize, and make decisions that benefit Rivian as a whole using a first principles approach;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
This is where you’ll work:
Department: Smart Diagnostic Systems
Location: Irvine, CA
Travel up to 50% of the time, depending on program phase. Travel will be primarily to Normal, IL, Plymouth, MI, and Surprise, AZ.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.