Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
You will be an integral part of the team with end-to-end design and delivery responsibility for a series of adventure enabling products and systems within the Adventure Products portfolio. The successful candidate will need to ensure their brand defining products of ownership seamlessly integrate with the base vehicle architecture in line with the Rivian Development Process. Combine your love for outdoor adventure with mechanical engineering design and development!
- Create and develop detailed engineering and product requirements with the user experience and innovation at the forefront
- Mechanical and electro-mechanical design in 3D CAD, including tolerancing and creation of 2D drawings
- Develop and manage your part system, subsystem and component data through the PLM environment
- Define validation procedures to ensure only mass optimized, integrated and reliable designs are released including design failure mode effect analysis (DFMEA), design for manufacture (DFM) and design verification planning (DVP)
- Manage product timing and cost (investment / bill of materials) whilst achieving vehicle performance targets
- Design and develop prototype parts to enable proof of concept testing including detailed analysis (FEA/CAE)
- Manage domestic and international external manufacturing partners or vertically integrated supply chains as required
- Coach and mentor junior team members to drive continuous improvement in the team
- Geek out on all things adventure — from camping, overlanding, off-roading, surfing, skiing, travel and more
- Solve problems for our consumers through conceptualization, iteration and refinement.
- Key functional partners to collaborate with include industrial design, studio, program management, quality, purchasing, finance, manufacturing, product planning and corporate strategy
- 7+ years developing mechanical and electro-mechanical products and systems
- B.S. in mechanical engineering or related engineering field (M.S. preferred)
- Excellent proficiency in 3D CAD including concept, part and assembly design across a diverse set of products
- Experience with the full product development lifecycle preferred (problem id, ideation, prototype, engineering design, transfer to manufacturing, sustaining)
- Ability to work effectively with people cross functionally, at all levels of the organization
- Must be able to lean on first principles to progress designs ahead of FEA/CAE prove out - using engineering fundamentals to confidently move projects forward without (or in advance of) computer analysis
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills, supporting executive level reviews as required
- Be self-motivated and autonomous in a fast-paced environment
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.