Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Lead development and execution of battery design optimization through whole system modeling
- Develop the framework for automated analysis of vehicle drive cycles and performance requirements
- Create and manage HV System requirements decomposed through modeling activity
- Develop and/or modify vehicle level “plant” models to support ESS design and development
- Contribute to definition and specification of DOE for model development, parameterization and correlation. Collaborate with simulation teams to distill correlated simulation models into executable models for analysis
- Script and automate test runs and data analysis for presentation to vehicle stakeholders
- Run simulations on these models, to include analyzing their interaction with ESS models
- Generate reports and summarize simulation summary data (charts, presentations, etc.)
- Use this summary data to facilitate requirements negotiation with vehicle attribute and simulation teams
- Work with vehicle simulation teams to understand their performance and durability profiles
- Adapt these profiles for ESS compliance
- Collaborate with other ESS Subject Matter Experts to drive ESS requirements development
- Minimum 5+ years of industrial/academic experience working with EV propulsion systems
- Master’s Degree in engineering discipline – electrical, thermal or electrochemical related disciplines a plus
- Strong experience in MATLAB/Simulink
- Python, C programming experience is a plus
- Experience analyzing and creating vehicle plant / propulsion system / battery models
- Experience with simulation tools such as Amesim and/or Carmaker a plus
- Experience with 3D CFD packages such a Star-CCM+ a plus
- Experience in module/pack electrical/thermal modeling is a plus
- Strong high level technical understanding of Battery Packs
- Strong understanding of how vehicle level requirements for performance, range, durability drive, ESS energy, power, and durability specifications
- Strong technical background in modeling of electrical/thermal systems
- Background knowledge on common battery cell formats, pack design requirements and cooling interactions
- Knowledge on BMS a plus
- Understanding about the relationship between pack design and its’ performance and lifetime
- Problem solving skills, think outside of the box
- Desire to work in fast-paced environment
- Passionate about research/work; make extra effort to get the job done; Work well both in individual and in a team
- Excellent communication skill
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.