Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Finish and assemble clay and foam models with detailed components for informal and formal reviews
- Prep surfaces for the application of dinoc film and/or paint
- Create detailed components using a variety of materials such as clay, foam, metal, and wood
- Prepare physical properties for milling by applying clay, cutting and bonding foam, wood, plastics, metal and other materials
- Accurately locate and secure models, parts, and molds to surface plates, tables, and other milling fixtures
- Operate forklift and other heavy lifting and moving equipment
- Devise solutions to new problems while quickly adapting to and executing change
- Champion innovation through process improvement and search for new equipment and materials
- Work in a clean and organized manner, maintaining a professional environment in the studio and shops
- Maintain inventory and procure tools and supplies using corporate procurement system
- Work in a team environment and always be willing to help others
- Adhere to all corporate health and safety procedures
- Portfolio representing relevant projects and experience
- 7+ years of experience in exterior and interior clay modeling
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Excellent understanding of line, form, and surface development
- Possess the ability to create and develop refined surface, forms, and graphics in clay and foam per design direction and engineering requirements
- Understanding of the design process and interaction of clay modeling, milling, scanning, and fabrication
- Experience using metal and wood shop equipment and tools
- Set of personal clay tools
- Physical ability and stamina to bend, reach, push, lift objects, and stand for long periods of time
- Strong technical and mechanical ability
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Flexibility to work occasional non-standard hours to ensure time sensitive jobs are completed on time
- Strong communication, multitasking, & inter-personal skills
- Strong leadership skills including the desire to mentor and coach
- Computer skills (MS Office, Outlook, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design, Ceramics, Sculpture or Clay Modeling Certificate
- Experience operating CNC milling machines and creating cutter paths
- Experience operating 3D printers and scanning equipment
- Soft Trim experience
- Show Car paint application and custom paint mixing experience
- Experience with composites
- Understanding of electronics
- Automotive mechanic
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.