Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Internship Term: Summer 2021
Rivian internships are experiences optimized for student candidates. To be eligible, you must be an undergraduate or graduate student in an accredited program during the internship term. If you are not pursuing a degree, please see our full time positions at Rivian.com/careers
Note that if your university has specific requirements for internship programs, it is your responsibility to fulfill those requirements.
The FA team supports all hardware related failures for every component on every vehicle we make. Reliability is at the core of Electric Adventure Vehicles. As an Intern on the Failure Analysis team, you will play a key role in generating insight through conducting failure analysis investigations for all Rivian products from the vehicle to component level.
· Work with the FA team’s Mechanical Engineering FA engineer.
· Assist in the validation of physics of failure model(s) for both the reliability team and the Computer Aided Engineering (CAE) team (e.g. crash testing simulations, validate REL model predictions, etc.).
· The summer internship will either be spent working on one large model or a set of models, depending on the current needs of the company.
· Define materials testing plans to validate the models.
· Utilize the materials characterization tools in the lab (e.g. SEM, EDS, FTIR, hardness testing, tensile testing, fatigue testing, etc.) to help validate the models. Must have at least a working knowledge and some basic (lab classes are fine) experience of most of these laboratory techniques prior to starting.
· You would ideally have experience in finite element modelling and simulation (e.g. ANSYS)
Pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Mecahtronics, Physics or a related field
Experience with FEA, CAD, and basic laboratory and materials characterization techniques, and accelerated lifetime testing methods. (e.g. (e.g. SEM, EDS, FTIR, hardness testing, tensile testing,
· Understanding of root cause analysis techniques and demonstrated experience applying them.
· Experience leading cross function problem solving activities.
· Experience creating technical Powerpoint presentations
· A desire to contribute to a respectful, fun, inclusive and inspiring team culture.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.