Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Support the development of innovative chassis systems and components (ride, handling, steering and braking systems), aiming to improve the customer experience from the perspective of vehicle performance, efficiency, durability and reliability;
- Develop vehicle and sub-systems simulation models to predict the performance of the proposed solutions and support Proof-Of-Concept activities.
- Support, as required, the development and testing of embedded software (which may include control and state estimation algorithms, diagnostics and calibration) for virtual / physical Proof-Of-Concept of the proposed solutions;
- Work at all levels of the V-model and support Systems Engineering to ensure system delivery;
- Support the set-up of measurement systems and the design of data analysis tools and procedures during the Proof-Of-Concept phase
- Provide technical guidance and recommendations to support the production and calibration of the systems under development
- Interface with the other R&D functions and the wider Rivian engineering community to assess the risk of the proposed concepts and develop plans to manage it through virtual and physical test activities
- Meet timing & budget constraints whilst achieving the vehicle, systems and component targets;
- Perform root cause analysis of issues detected in products released or under development, implement lessons learnt on subsequent products;
- Travel to proving grounds domestically and abroad as required. It
Tasks may include:
- Calculating the loads
- Evaluating the kinematic and compliance properties
- Feeding suspension and steering data into full vehicle models
- Defining suspension and steering hardpoints
- Performing primary / secondary ride analysis
- Running specific simulation events to predict the vehicle steady state / transient response, in open- or closed-loop
- Developing physical models of chassis sub-systems
- Performing correlation activities to align the simulation models with physical test data.
- Bachelor’s in Mechanical / Aerospace Engineering or equivalent;
- 3+ years of chassis systems and Vehicle Dynamics development;
- Experience with Multi-Body and full-vehicle simulation tools to evaluate vehicle dynamics attributes;
- Good knowledge of validation, verification and testing process;
- Ability to understand Engineering direction and provide design concepts accordingly.
- Experience in at least one full product lifecycle delivering CAE vehicle dynamics attributes from concepts through production;
- Experience with MSC Adams, IPG CarMaker, Matlab / Simulink and physical modelling tools (e.g. Simscape, AMESim);
- Experience with vehicle control systems.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.