Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Support the development of innovative chassis systems and components (ride, handling, steering and braking systems), aiming to improve the customer experience from the perspective of vehicle performance, efficiency, durability and reliability
- Perform system-level analysis and derive mechatronic systems and components specifications from high level requirements
- Use analytical and numerical simulation approaches to predict and optimize the performance of the proposed solutions
- Develop and deliver embedded software (which may include control and state estimation algorithms, diagnostics and calibration) for virtual / physical Proof-Of-Concept of the proposed solutions
- Implement and mature the proposed solutions on Rapid Prototyping hardware (HIL, mule vehicles) to confirm functionality and performance, integrating and adapting existing Series software as needed
- Follow industry standards for building safe, efficient, well documented and production-suitable code
- Work at all levels of the V-model (DFMEA, DVP, Functional Safety, Requirements)
- Interface with the other R&D functions and the wider Rivian engineering community to assess the risk of the proposed concepts and develop plans to manage it through virtual and physical test activities
Provide professional technical documentation and regularly report the project status throughout the development process
Manage suppliers - which may be production sourced or may be unique based on R&D timelines and needs - to deliver component designs on time and to specification, as required
Perform root cause analysis of issues detected in products released or under development, implement lessons learnt on subsequent products
- Travel to proving grounds domestically and abroad to provide vehicle troubleshooting and calibration, as required
- Bachelor’s in Mechanical / Electrical / Aerospace Engineering or equivalent;
- 3+ years industry experience in Model-Based (Matlab / Simulink) simulation & control;
- Understanding of automotive development processes and V-cycle;
- Familiarity with DFMEA/DVPR usage and review of these documents;
- A strong understanding of the engineering first principles in control systems and vehicle dynamics
- Ability to understand Engineering direction and provide design concepts accordingly.
- Track record in the development of chassis control systems, including at least one full product lifecycle from concept through production
- Experience fulfilling ISO26262
- Appreciation of the interaction between the hardware / software system design and the overall vehicle performance (vehicle dynamics, efficiency, reliability, durability)
- Experience with Model-Based physical modelling (e.g. Simscape) or vehicle simulation (e.g. CarMaker, ADAMS) tools
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.