Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Continuously improve Rivian best practices for Harness Assembly guidelines and review with EDS Manager/Lead to revise the guidelines for approval
- Identify all device connections for each harness family and design routes in CATIA v6 considering mechanical, electrical, environmental variables, establishing 110% bundle diameters regardless of the state of device transmittal maturity, and define Device ID instances in 3D, collaborating with EDS Systems Engineers
- Support pre-sourcing, requesting relative harness sub-components, supporting 2D/3D librarians for information gathering from Tier1/Tier2 suppliers
- Create device, inline, and/or specialty cable topologies for system engineering support from a packaging perspective
- Lead and support development of bespoke, provisional harness sub-components such as, grommets, channels, unique connectors, holding weekly design reviews with suppliers for relative components
- Support EDS DRE Lead when authoring RFI/RFQs, definition of SoW(s) and/or SoR(s), support supplier technical reviews and support definition of the most practical supplier for each program providing input for cost, quality, and responsiveness
- Prepare PLM release process in Enovia (eBOM), by creating component PN(s), including PN(s) required for tech and packaging variants, utilizing Risk Assessment Tooling (RAT) to establish safety critical and homologation aspects of each releasable component
- Construct harness family complexity, defining manufacturing sales codes strings by PN, including the fabrication of specific sales codes not defined in the product plan to support harness complexity
- Ensure the definition of piece-price, prototype/production tooling costs, mass, and all other administrative specifications are defined prior to release in Enovia (eBOM)
- Evaluate the state of the design in accordance with program mass, piece-price, and prototype/production tooling targets and harmonize them with Rivian Gateway objectives, by proposing / communicating through an RoR Matrix
- Author and illustrate performance test requirements to ensure component DVP&R, and that all vehicle level tests are completed prior to part warrant (e.g. USCAR-21, humidity/accelerated aging/thermal shock, submersion, dynamic fatigue cycling, and short-circuit / over-current analysis)
- Lead internal and supplier design reviews of all assigned harness families ensuring closure of ALL issues, identifying design failure modes, supporting functional safety requirements, and developing and ensuring completion of all related component and vehicle level DVP&R items
- Support Rivian Vehicle Assembly and Tier1 builds, including on-site support for rapid design and rework for prototype / pre-production mule, electrical/mechanical static buck(s), and verification phases
- Patience, kindness, self-control, confidently centered around a positive mental attitude
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical, Electrical, or related engineering disciplines
- 5+ years of automotive or aerospace harness assembly design and release experience
- A current, industry standard knowledge of design verification testing required for various Harness Assemblies
- Experience / understanding with harness sub-components, plastic-injection molding, rapid proto-harnessing sub-assembly, and form-board production assembly processes
- Knowledge and hands-on experience and willingness to build rapid-prototypes, including procurement of components
- Effective ability to select appropriate inlines for 3D packaging in early phases with knowledge to estimate bundle diameters
- Effective ability to select appropriate coverings for protection against abrasion/serrations/BSR/NVH/EMI, that also accommodate harness geometries for packaging, understanding cost / design differentials
- Effective ability to select appropriate retainers with consideration of harness and vehicle DFM guidelines
- Effective ability to package harness in 3D virtual environment, understanding non-compliant ergonomics, tach-times, and vehicle assembly sequencing
- Experience packaging harnesses considering communication protocol circuits such as, CAN/LIN/Base T-1000/video, lighting signals, etc.
- Knowledge of, through experience packaging and testing dynamic harness conditions
- Strong 2D CAD experience and proficiency with AutoCAD, MentorGraphics, Arcadia, or etc.
- 3D CAD experience with CATIA v5/v6, NX, SolidWorks, or etc. is A PLUS, required if no previous automotive experience
- Willingness to develop new technologies for future programs
- Fluent in English (speaking, reading, writing, and listening)
- Self-driven, displaying initiative with minimal supervision
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Visio, and Power Point
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.