Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Internship Term: Summer 2021
Rivian internships are experiences optimized for student candidates. To be eligible, you must be an undergraduate or graduate student in an accredited program during the internship term. If you are not pursuing a degree, please see our full time positions at Rivian.com/careers
Note that if your university has specific requirements for internship programs, it is your responsibility to fulfill those requirements.
The Rivian Self-Driving team is seeking a highly motivated intern to help develop and test control law algorithms to further the company’s goals towards highly automated driving features. This role will join a currently expanding team and work in concert with both perception and software teams to help deliver a final product. In addition, by interfacing and systems and test engineers, this role will assist on-going projects by carrying forward control code from initial design through validation to meet the necessary ADAS feature deliverables.
- Test and validate motion planning and vehicle control algorithms for autonomous driving.
- Facilitate unit and system tests for control algorithms, test software both in vehicle and in simulation.
- Interface with the systems engineering team to formulate design verification plans and procedures according to established requirements.
- Verify and validate state machine and behavior logic.
- Minimum completion of 2 years at the start of the internship at an accredited 4 year Engineering program in any of the following key areas: Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics, or Robotics
- Strong knowledge foundation of physics and dynamics
- Understanding of classical control theory methodology including PID, lead/lag compensation, feedforward control, root locus, stability margins, and transfer functions
- Experience with Matlab/Simulink and C/C++
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.