Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Reliability is at the core of Electric Adventure Vehicles. As a Mechanical FA Engineer in the Failure Analysis team, you will play a key role in generating insight through conducting failure analysis investigations for all Rivian products from the vehicle to component level.
- The Mechanical FA Engineer will serve as the subject matter expert for the FA lab in the field of mechanical engineering failure analysis.
- Core responsibilities:
- Perform deep dive failure analysis investigations, specializing in the mechanics of failures from any and all systems, modules, and components within our vehicles.
- Be the lab subject matter expert (SME) in the field of finite element modelling (FEA), computer aided engineering (CAE), and validation of physics of failure models.
- Lead projects requiring rapid prototyping/design and building or 3D printing of experimental fixtures and components to aid in experiments to simulate or recreate failures, provide accelerated lifetime testing, etc.
- Have a thorough understanding of metrology methods and their limitations, and a working knowledge of the use of common metrology equipment such as 3D CT scanning, CMM, OMM, profilometers, 3D optical profilers (e.g. Zygo), etc.
- Collaborate and develop strong partnerships with engineering teams (e.g. computer aided engineering (CAE), design for reliability (DFR), chassis, body, and enclosures design, etc.) to help define their needs for failure analysis, where they may need help in development of manufacturing processes, or validation of predictive models, etc. Maintain a constant dialogue on the existing and growing capabilities of the FA team.
- Lead failure analysis activities for incidents originating from reliability testing for new product development and from fielded systems. Assure that root cause is identified at the most detailed level.
- Lead the creation of failure analysis reports with exceptional visualizations and direct the communication and presentation of findings to project teams.
- Work with reliability engineering and testing to recreate failure modes that are intermittent or hard to replicate. Utilize environmental testing equipment, HALT and other methods to be able to precipitate failures as a precursor to in depth failure analysis. Use results to field and the best path in terms of addressing the finding with the design teams
- Lead executive reviews related to failure analysis results.
- MSc in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering and 3+ years relevant industrial experience, preferably in the automotive industry.
- Experience leading failure analysis investigations is required.
- Experience in ANSA, Abaqus, ANSYS, and Hyperview/META or similar software with application in the static analysis of automotive structures is a plus.
- Strong academic background in solid mechanics, materials, and structural analysis.
- Experience with the application of, and hands on use of, metrology equipment such as 3D CT scanning, CMM, OMM, profilometers, 3D optical profilers (e.g. Zygo), etc.
- Hands on experience with 3D printing and building fixtures for custom experiments a huge plus.
- Experience of preparing formal reports summarizing analysis results.
- Basic knowledge of material properties associated with automotive structures.
- A desire to create a respectful, fun, inclusive and inspiring team and company culture is a must!
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.