Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
This is what you’ll do:
- Take primary responsibility for all interactions necessary to achieve certification or homologation in global markets (US, Canada, EU, ECE, China) for consumer and commercial vehicles.
- Monitor the status of applicable global regulations (e.g. F/CMVSS, ECE, GB):
- Communicate current and upcoming requirements to the engineering team, through formal and informal design reviews, and in our requirements management tool.
- Assist design and engineering teams with interpreting regulatory requirements, including seeking out interpretations as needed.
- Work with design and engineering teams to assist the design reviews and track the compliance status for all regulatory topics.
- Coordinate with all stakeholders to ensure the completion of self-certification/homologation activities:
- Determine applicable test configurations, develop detailed test plans and assist in scheduling certification tests for each subject applicable regulation.
- Interface with applicable regulatory bodies (NHTSA, Transport Canada, EU technical services, etc) as needed.
- For North American markets, develop and populate compliance reports for all FMVSS and CMVSS subjects, including collation of all necessary test reports, drawings, and judgments.
- For EU markets, oversee development and population of all necessary information documents and certificates of conformity. Develop the European conformity of production plan and oversee all necessary audits, tests and inspections, and as required, ensure appropriate corrective measures are taken
- Track and report certification status.
- Monitor product changes and update compliance reports or type approval certificates as needed
This is what you’ll need:
- 5-7 years’ experience in homologation at an auto manufacturer/testing lab supporting auto certification testing, preferably on an electric vehicle program.
- 5-7 years’ experience in leading and developing a high performance team
- A robust understanding of the entire US and Canadian self-certification process and/or the EU/ECE Whole Vehicle Type Approval process.
- A strong understanding of global regulatory subjects including active and passive safety, and environmental regulations applicable to electric vehicles.
- Deep curiosity to understand the product, how the regulations may be applied and to find creative solutions.
- Experience with a formal requirements management tool (Jama, Jira, etc.) and systems engineering principles preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills to build relationships across the Rivian organization as well as with government authorities and test labs
This is where you’ll work:
Department: Legal & IP
Location: Irvine, CA
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.