Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Perform deep dive failure analysis investigations, specializing in the failures mechanisms from any systems, modules, and components within our vehicles.
- Be the lab subject matter expert (SME) in the field of battery failure, with special emphasis on failure modes and mechanisms in lithium-ion batteries and systems.
- Have a thorough understanding of battery and energy storage systems (ESS) testing methods and their limitations, and a working knowledge of the common equipment used for battery characterization such as cyclic voltammetry and electrochemical impedance spectroscopy.
- Collaborate with existing engineering teams (e.g. power conversion, power train, battery cell, materials development, etc.) to help define the needs for electrical and battery specific failure analysis, and identify where they may need help in development of manufacturing processes, or validation of predictive models, etc. Maintain a constant dialogue on the existing and growing capabilities of the FA team.
- Perform failure analysis activities for incidents originating from reliability testing for new product development and from fielded systems. Assure that root cause is identified at the most detailed level.
- Prepare failure analysis reports with exceptional visualizations and direct the communication and presentation of findings to project teams.
- Work with reliability engineering and testing to recreate failure modes that are intermittent or hard to replicate. Utilize environmental testing equipment, HALT and other methods to be able to precipitate failures as a precursor to in depth failure analysis. Use results to field and the best path in terms of addressing the finding with the cross functional teams.
- BSc/MSc in Electrical Engineering and 3+ years relevant industrial experience, preferably in the automotive industry.
- Strong academic background and/or experience in the testing and analysis of energy storage sub-systems and batteries.
- Experience performing failure analysis investigations is required.
- Experience with the application of, and hands on use of, metrology equipment such as curve trace, oscilloscopes, optical microscopy, time-domain reflectometry, parametric and signal analyzers, cyclic voltammetry, electrochemical impedance spectroscopy, et. for use in detailed battery cell characterization and failure analysis.
- Familiarity with various rechargeable lithium-ion battery chemistries and their fundamental failure mechanism theories is highly desirable.
- Hands on experience with other materials characterization equipment such as optical microscopes, scanning electron microscopes (SEM), energy dispersive spectroscopy (EDS),scanning acoustic microscopes (C-SAM), cross sectioning equipment, decapsulating chemicals, CT-scanning, 2D X-ray, etc. is desirable.
- Experience of preparing formal reports summarizing analysis data and results.
- A desire to create a respectful, fun, inclusive and inspiring team and company culture is a must
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.