Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Reliability is at the core of Electric Adventure Vehicles. We are looking for engineers who have experience in bringing products from the early concept stages to production by working closely with design, validation and manufacturing teams on solving technical problems along the way to make the most robust products. If some of the first things that come to your mind when looking at a complex design is “what are the way this thing can fail and how can I make it better?” then, we are looking for you!
- As a Design-for-Reliability Engineer focusing on the electric motor, gearbox, and advanced driveline designs, you’ll help Rivian develop robust products from concept to production phases.
- Get to work with a world-class team of design and validation engineers to come up with creative solutions to some of the most challenging engineering problems by thinking outside the box.
- Become the resident reliability development expert to motor, gearbox, driveline design teams.
- Develop reliability testing plans for gearbox, driveline, eAxle products
- Collaborate with design teams to implement Design for Reliability activities throughout the design cycles
- Minimum requirement is a Bachelor of Science in Engineering.
- Three (3) or more years of industry experience in a reliability engineering role. Level of Role depends on experience and qualifications. In addition, a strong technical background and interest in reliability:
- Experience with facilitating FMEAs and leading cross functional teams.
- Working knowledge of a coding language, preferably Python.
- Working knowledge of statistical software for reliability, such as JMP or the ReliaSoft suite.
- A desire to contribute to a respectful, fun, inclusive and inspiring team culture.
- Gearbox, transmission, electric-motor (eAxle) fundamentals
- Knowledge to interpret technical drawings, GD&T, tolerance stacks, system and component design of gears, bearings and housings. · Durability testing development for gearbox, electric-motor, bearings.
- A general understanding on how to interpret finding from FEA results.
- Exposure to failure analysis of gearbox, bearing, eAxle, and driveline components
- CAD knowledge and working experience in 3D and drawing creation, modification (CATIA preferred)
- Knowledge of design mitigations for NVH issues related to geartrain, bearings, etc.
- Understanding of Highly Accelerated Testing methods and governing equations for different types of mechanical failure mechanisms.
- Experience with deploying reliability testing guidelines and inventing new ways of testing.
- Understanding of reliability statistics including Weibull Analysis.
- Expertise in accelerated-life-test development methods for electric drive-units
- Working knowledge of failure analysis techniques such as optical microscopy, SEM, CT, X-Ray, EDS.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.