Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
As Functional Safety Engineer, you will be responsible for performing the vehicle level functional safety analysis and consulting on all aspects of the feature decomposition and execution throughout the lifecycle. In order to do this, you will work closely with the departmental functional safety engineering resource to ensure compliance throughout the lifecycle and provide technical guidance, consult and independent peer review of the system and component engineering.
- Contribute to feature requirements and provide functional safety guidance on feature definition
- Perform vehicle level HARA and generate safety goals as well as perform DFMEA and FTA analysis
- Capture requirements within the Rivian requirements tool and maintain the traceability and quality
- Represent the functional safety team working alongside the engineering departments to provide technical consult, guidance and approval as part of internal and external development activities
- Work with the vehicle and system architecture teams to derive functional safety requirements and technical requirements from derived safety goals
- Provide independent peer review and approval of functional safety activities including technical review and resolution
- Provide a single point of contact for specific departments to ensure compliance throughout the functional safety lifecycle
- Co-ordinate cross-functional engineering teams to achieve their deliverables
- Work with the vehicle engineering, systems engineering and component engineering teams to progress the functional safety deliverables
- Degree education in Electrical/Electronic or Mechanical (or similar)
- Over 3 years of experience within the automotive industry (or equivalent), ideally OEM or Tier 1 working within functional safety
- Good interpersonal and communication skills with a high level of integrity
- Experience working within a cross-functional team
- Proven knowledge of ISO 26262 and experience applying within an OEM or Tier 1
- Good working knowledge of vehicle system functionality and electro/mechanical control strategy
- Ability to report to senior management and report accurate information in a clear and concise manner
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.