Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
As Lead Functional Safety Engineer for the Self-Driving team, you will be both lead and be an active participant in developing the functional safety concept, including all aspects of feature decomposition and analysis throughout the vehicle program lifecycle. In order to do this, you will work closely with the Vehicle System Engineering functional safety engineering team to ensure vehicle system level compliance and provide technical guidance in the form of consulting and independent peer reviews of the system with other cross-functional teams.
- Contribute to ADAS and Self-Driving feature requirements and provide functional safety guidance on feature definition
- Perform FTA analysis in relation to vehicle level safety goals as well as be an active participant in DFMEA activities
- Capture derived requirements within the Rivian requirements tool and maintain the traceability and quality
- Represent the Self-Driving functional safety team working alongside the engineering departments to provide technical consultation, guidance and approval as part of feature development activities
- Work with the vehicle and system architecture teams to derive functional safety requirements and technical requirements from derived safety goals
- Provide independent peer review and approval of functional safety activities including technical review and resolution with other cross-functional domains and suppliers in the establishment and agreement of DIAs
- Be a single point of contact for the Self-Driving team to ensure compliance throughout the functional safety program life-cycle
- Co-ordinate across vehicle system and other cross-functional engineering teams to achieve deliverables
Degree education in Electrical/Electronic or Mechanical (or similar) Engineering
Over 5 years of experience within the automotive industry, ideally OEM or Tier 1 working within functional safety in relation to ADAS features
Good interpersonal and communication skills with a high level of integrity
Experience working within a cross-functional team
Proven knowledge of ISO 26262 and experience applying within an OEM or Tier 1
Understanding of emerging standards such as ISO 21448 (Safety of the Intended Function) and UL 4600
Ability to leverage common tools such as FTA and FMEA to articulate and formulate functional safety requirements
Guide further decomposition into sub-system design and technical safety requirements for both hardware and software
Good working knowledge of vehicle system functionality and electro/mechanical control strategy
Ability to report to senior management and report accurate information in a clear and concise manner
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.