Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
The Vehicle User Experience Group is looking for a Senior HMI Architect with expertise in defining in-vehicle human machine interactions. As a Senior HMI Architect, you will be responsible for defining holistic user experiences across multiple platforms (like vehicle body, infotainment, remote devices) and touchpoints (such as outside, inside and away from the vehicle), documenting the over-all user journey down to discrete user stories and then individual requirements and systems logic, and communicating with cross-functional teams throughout the business to create a seamless user experience.
The Vehicle User Experience Group consists of experts from the automotive, entertainment, internet, and consumer electronics industries.
- You will help the team define the overall Human Machine Interface and User Experience strategy for vehicle functionality across a variety of in-vehicle features.
- You will participate in user journey definition together with a cross functional team that includes designers, hardware and software engineers, vehicle and industrial designers,
- You will lead the cross-function user experience design and development process while working with Hardware, Software, and Packaging Engineers, User Experience Designers, and Homologation, Brand, and Product teams to achieve correct user functionality.
- You will be responsible for documenting user stories, requirements, and functional flows.
- You will help the team conduct research and benchmarking exercises for various market and concept vehicles.
- You will participate in usability studies on vehicle hardware and features, analyze findings, and document results along with recommendations.
- You will help build hardware/software standards and guidelines for future vehicle programs.
- At least 5 years of experience defining in-vehicle features and user experiences.
- At least 3 years of usability testing experience.
- Extensive experience in researching and benchmarking competitive vehicles.
- Expert-level skills writing user stories, HMI requirements and standards, and architecting functional flows.
- Experience and a passion for championing the position of the end user to deliver best-in-class vehicle functions.
- Experience communicating objectives and desired outcomes with Hardware, Software, and Packaging Engineers, User Experience Designers, and Homologation, Brand, and Product teams
- Firm understanding of in-vehicle driver distraction, engineering guidelines, and automotive laws and regulations for both domestic and international programs.
- Some experience with rapid fabrication and prototyping methods is a plus.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.