Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
THIS IS WHAT YOU'LL DO:
The Packaging Engineer is responsible for the design and implementation of Rivian’s Service Packaging strategy. The Packaging Engineer will recommend, analyze, and select packaging materials, processes, and designs based on durability, environmental impact, and cost effectiveness which withstand the harshness of the distribution process. A clear understanding of Service Operations and related processes into, within, and out of all Rivian PDC’s and Service Centers. This position falls under the Supplier Packaging - Logistics, umbrella.
· Identify and develop relationships with top quality global packaging and material handling suppliers.
· Develop, review, approve all Accessory and Service Packaging Proposals from the Supply Base.
· Monitor damage claims and intervene as necessary.
· Responsible for implementing, improving and maintaining the packaging standards for inbound components and raw material to support Service Operations.
· Work with Rivian Distribution Centers to review current packaging methods and practices.
· Recommend, analyze, and select materials for packaging based on durability, environmental impact, and cost effectiveness.
· Analyzes engineering drawings and specifications to determine physical requirements, quality, safety and materials needs.
· Create, maintain, and modify all Rivian Service Packaging standards and guidelines as needed.
· Continuous consolidation of Rivian Service Packaging SKU’s to optimize modular solutions.
· Helps determine container costs, movement costs and feasibility limitations.
· May lead project teams of significant scope including other engineering colleagues.
· May coordinate vendor and/or colleague work assignments on packaging projects.
· May lead cross-functional work teams.
· Responsible for adhering to all internal and OSHA required safety procedures in performing daily work activities.
· Maintain a positive working relationship with all levels of the organization
· Adherence to all company policies and procedures
· Work with customer / supplier contacts to gain approval for packaging
THIS IS WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
· Bachelor’s Degree in Packaging
· 3+ years Automotive Packaging experience (Service preferred)
· Excellent oral and written communications skills and negotiating skills
· Robust understanding of available packaging materials and technologies related to development, testing, and implementation of new product packaging.
· Capable of creating written reports, proposals and project documentation
· Ability to lead presentations to leadership as required
· Knowledge of logistics, transportation alternatives and customer expectations
· Knowledge of manufacturing processes, product designs, safety, quality and workflow needs
· Knowledge of / experience in packaging testing (ISTA, ASTM, UN)
· Excellent organizational, analytical and communication skills
· Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and to work well with others in a team environment
· Proficient in Microsoft Office software
· SolidWorks, Catia – modeling experience; basic manipulations
· Must be able to communicate effectively with personnel at all levels throughout the organization
· Exceptional organizational ability with good follow-up skills and attention to details
· Self-starter with good judgement and problem-solving skills
· Cross functional teamwork, cooperation, integrity, positive attitude, strong work ethic
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.