Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
At Rivian, we’re reimagining what mobility can be. Beyond redesigning the automobile, we’re rethinking the entire ecosystem. From excitement to sustainability, utility to comfort, we’re working to deliver joyful mobility experiences without the pain points of today.
Our diverse team shares an innate curiosity for the world, a willingness to see things differently, and a passion for getting things done. We never stand still in our pursuit of progress, and we’re looking for the best and brightest talent to accelerate our vision toward future mobility.
Rivian has development centers in Detroit and San Francisco, as well as a production facility in Normal, Illinois, where our manufacturing operations will be based. The development of our first set of products is well underway, with the alpha prototypes complete and testing in process.
THIS IS WHO YOU ARE:
We are looking for someone who is not content with a narrow focus and who likes to follow a project to completion. You rely on your experience but always use sound engineering fundamentals to validate your gut. You have spent considerable time on the shop floor, potentially starting as a tool and die maker, but have progressed your skills upstream and can easily interact with design studio, release engineering, and manufacturing engineering to achieve the highest quality product outcome. You are comfortable, even enjoy, open ended assignments and are highly self-motivated.
This is what you will do:
- Evaluate potential part construction techniques to assess formability in advance of CAD creation
- Support vehicle development and design teams to ensure part formability for all designed components
- Analyze CAD models to assess formability prior to tooling release
- Iterate on component design with design and release engineers based on formability analysis and design requirements
- Provide formability guidelines, best practices, and simple tools to aid engineering in material and process selection
- Provide subject matter expertise and support to thetooling suppliers
- Simulate or support analysis on the various methods of metal and composite forming including stamping feasibility on various grades of steel and aluminum, extrusion and casting feasibility on aluminum components, ability to roll for designs in steel, and ability to injection mold component from various composites
- Write RFQ's for die tooling to send to Rivian Global tooling suppliers
- Assure minimum number of operations, process best practices, press loading, and program investment targets are being followed
- Responsible for managing CAD data and LD release levels to ensure stamping dies are built to the correct level
- Knowledge of and ability to follow relevant inspection fixtures through completion, to entail the following: Concept, design, construction, certification, repeatability and EC incorporation
- Manage, review and approve all supplier;
- Feasibility, process and designs to include stamping die tooling and Kinematics/transfer automation design to meet best practices for material utilization and process capability
- Follow all stamping dies through machining, construction, build, buyoff at supplier and through home line to meet Rivian established part MRD milestones and Standards
- Responsible for managing the financials of dies at the suppliers including but not limited to: writing purchase reqs, managing and negotiating EC costs, approving progressive invoicing and following up to make sure the supplier is paid to the terms agreed upon
- Maintain program timing and report significant deviations (>1 week) to management
- Manage die supplier contractors on site to ensure they meet legal and company requirements
- Support in the development of all Stamping Engineering processes and procedures
- Support cost reductions as a champion of good, fundamental design across the vehicle
- Coach and develop the Stamping Engineering team to help meets agreed objectives and deliver best practice results, added value and continuous improvement
This is what you will need:
- Knowledge of automotive design and development process, system requirements, and general engineering best practices
- Experience and understanding of sheet metal processes, metal forming as well as tooling design and construction
- Understanding and firsthand knowledge of part tolerancing, and what various metal forming and finishing processes are capable of.
- Ability to troubleshoot forming and dimensional issues in the tooling process
- Understanding of various methods of material formability and knowledge of evaluating component formability
- Understanding of forming simulation software (Autoform, LS Dyna, or equivalent)
- Excellent organizational and follow-up skills
- Experience in dealing and communicating with internal customers and suppliers
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or a minimum of 10 years experience in Stamping Engineering
- Ability and willingness to travel overseas and to on-site build/launch locations for extended periods
- Strong skills with common workplace software (word processor, spreadsheet, database, etc).
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.