Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Design automated production lines for product flow, ergonomics and efficiency, scalability, standardization, and continuous quality monitoring
- Design, procurement, construction, simulation and deployment of manufacturing automation equipment for low, medium, and high volume production
- In-house development of workstations, manufacturing equipment and fixtures
- Management of suppliers during specification, design, buyoff and installation of manufacturing equipment
- Characterization and validation of new equipment and fixtures for introduction to the production floor
- Participate in early prototype equipment builds to characterize and develop both equipment and processes
- Provide Design for Manufacturing feed-back to Product Design Engineering team
- Development of new manufacturing processes, process sequences, and process recipes
- Creation of detailed Manufacturing Instructions to support new processes and equipment
- Perform process analysis including PFMEA and capacity modeling
- Support implementation of product traceability and shop floor tracking
- BS/MS/PhD in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics (or equivalent)
- Hands-on experience in building/troubleshooting automation systems and acquiring experimental data
- Minimum of 1 year experience in an automated manufacturing environment (including internships)
- Strong problem solving skills and aptitude for learning systems quickly
- Communicate effectively with direct team and peers within a manufacturing and engineering organization
- Detail oriented with strong record-keeping and organizational skills
- Proficient in complex electro-mechanical system design
- Understanding soldering, joining, AOI, X-ray, and electrical testing is a strong plus
- Proficient in process characterization and validation using statistical tools
- Experience creating technical specifications for automated manufacturing equipment
- Experience creating process documentation
- Experience transitioning automated systems from prototype to production
- Experience with 2D & 3D software (AutoCAD, Solidworks, and Catia)
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally as required
- Department: Manufacturing Engineering
- Location: Palo Alto, CA
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.