Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
THIS IS WHO YOU ARE:
In building our unique products, we need to build excellent partnerships with our supply base. The supplier quality organization is a frontline contact for insuring full supplier engagement in our program. As such, we strive every day to improve our organization, processes and skills to not just meet expectations, but to work in earnest to create challenging goals and stretch to always move forward.
THIS IS WHAT YOU'LL DO:
Utilizing Rivian processes based on industry standards from VDA and AIAG, the Supplier Quality Engineer – Propulsion will be responsible for managing the quality performance of the Powertrain Gearbox supply base for all purchased gears, bearings, seals and related gearbox components
Strategy and Development
· Contribute to the creation and implementation of best practice quality vision, strategy, policies, processes and procedures to aid and improve operational performance
· Contribute to new business initiatives and projects and review and communicate the impact on Quality activities
General and Task Management
· Implement all relevant procedures described in the Quality Management System (QMS) and ensure compliance
· Respond to customer complaints putting in containment actions, full analysis, poka-yokes (error proofing), and implementing short-term and long-term countermeasures
· Champion a program for the implementation and sustainment of a continuous improvement culture
· Act as a point of contact for warranty issues
· Ensure that all necessary systems and procedures are in place to satisfy all customer requirements and audits
· Introduce new systems and procedures where appropriate
· Train others in all aspects of the quality system and application of procedures
· Undertake internal and process audits of the Quality Management System (QMS)
· Management of the Quality Engineers and Technicians thru APQP and PPAP
· Report against agreed quality metrics
· Lead regular inspection meetings with representatives from appropriate departments to establish an action plan for improving build quality
· In conjunction with the Supplier Quality Assurance function, reduce the effect of non-conforming supplier materials on the production area quality
· Attend various meetings and action/communicate instructions
· Produce written reports and make presentations
· Undertake continuous training and development
· Perform root cause analysis and resolve problems
· Stay current and up to date on any changes that may affect the supply and demand of needed products and materials and advise others of any impact
· Identify business improvement opportunities within the organization
· Develop, implement and manage key performance indicators (KPIs) for each area of responsibility
· Set department objectives/KPIs and review and assess ongoing performance of direct reports
· Ensure KPIs are met
· Report on achievement of targets and identify any actions required
THIS IS WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
· Technical expertise in powertrain propulsion systems and related manufacturing processes and 3-6 years quality or engineering experience
· Deep quality experience. Preferable experience/certification in VDA 6.3 audit
· Expert knowledge and leadership of Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), Production Part Approval Process (PPAP), Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA)
· Lean Manufacturing knowledge
· In depth knowledge of IATF16949:2016
· Understanding of ISO14001
· Metrology, Inspection Methods and Equipment
· Understanding and interpretation of engineering drawings
· Understanding manufacturing processes
· Ability to work in a diverse and dynamic environment
· Planning and prioritizing activities
· Good communication and interpersonal skills
· Listening skills
· Negotiation skills
· Ability to present data effectively
· Problem-solving skills
· Understanding of Health and Safety practices
· Team working skills
· Analytical skills
· Understanding of cost and financial impacts
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.