Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Utilizing Rivian processes based on industry standards from VDA and AIAG, the supplier quality engineer – energy storage system will be responsible for managing the quality performance of our energy storage system supply base.
· Carry out supplier validation audits, with supplier support and supplier advanced product quality planning (APQP).
· Current knowledge of the latest state of the art for automotive lithium ion batteries
· Deep understanding of functional safety (ISO 26262) and embedded software development requirements ((Automotive SPICE)
· Work with Engineering (Design and Manufacturing Engineers) team to define process parameters and criteria to ensure supplier process capability is effective to meet product and process requirements
· Lead the supplier approval process by assessing manufacturing/technology capabilities and Health, Safety and Environmental risks
· Support new product launches to ensure that supplier quality meets the required standards
· Facilitate root cause analysis and corrective actions of supplier quality issues
· Perform on-site supplier visits for root cause analysis and verification of correction actions of supplier quality issues
· Review supplier manufacturing processes, collaborate with suppliers on process improvement and value enhancement opportunities
· Promote the use of Rivian preferred techniques for continuous improvement such as Lean, Six-Sigma, Poka-Yoke (Error Proofing), Measurement System Analysis, and Process Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (PFMEA)
· Provide concise, complete and accurate documentation of inspection results relative to area of responsibility. In appropriate functional areas, this refers to supporting inspection and test status requirements defined by regulations, engineering product specifications or Control Plans, Production Part Approval Process (PPAP) approval or product warrant submission
· Facilitate the escalation of unresolved supplier quality issues within assigned projects and suppliers
· Support the Quality Organization to monitor and report on supplier product quality and performance
· Report on Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) in order to adhere to process and prevent occurrence of any non-conformity relating to product, process or system
· Participate in cross-functional teams in the development of new products or changes related to current products in meeting customer requirements
· Undertake special projects as required
· Contribute to continuous improvement activities
· Write reports and present progress at project meetings and to clients
· Achieve goals within budget
· Conduct benchmarking studies to determine best practices/designs
· Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or equivalent experience
· Technical expertise in power distribution, wire harnesses and associated electrical components and processes and 2+ years quality or engineering experience ie. bus bars, power distribution unit, charging components.
· Strong knowledge of Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), Production Part Approval Process (PPAP), Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA)
· Lean Manufacturing knowledge
· Metrology, Inspection Methods and Equipment
· Understanding and interpretation of engineering drawings
· Understanding manufacturing processes
· Ability to work in a diverse and dynamic environment
· Planning and prioritizing activities
· Good communication and interpersonal skills
· Listening skills
· Negotiation skills
· Ability to present data effectively
· Problem-solving skills
· Understanding of Health and Safety practices
· Team working skills
· Analytical skills
· Understanding of cost and financial impacts
· Facilitate the escalation of unresolved quality issues within assigned projects and suppliers
· Manage and report on Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) in order to support the project timing and quality performance
· Manage development and implementation as well as ongoing maintenance and data integrity checks to our supplier portal
· Lead the effort of continuous improvement activities
· Lead benchmarking studies to determine best practices/designs
· Write reports and present progress at project meetings and to leadership
· Achieve goals within budget
· The core working hours for this position are 8-5pm, Monday-Friday.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.