Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
In building our unique products, we need to build excellent partnerships with our supply base. The supplier quality organization is a frontline contact for insuring full supplier engagement in our program. As such, we strive every day to improve our organization, processes and skills to not just meet expectations, but to work in earnest to create challenging goals and stretch to always move forward.
Utilizing Rivian processes based on industry standards from VDA and AIAG, the Supplier Quality Manager – Interiors will be responsible for managing the quality performance of interior component supply base.
Strategy and Development:
· Contribute to the creation and implementation of best practice quality vision, strategy, policies, processes and procedures to aid and improve operational performance
· Contribute to new business initiatives and projects and review and communicate the impact on Quality activities
· Ensure interior team supplier quality team carries out required supplier validation audits, supplier advanced product quality planning (APQP), supplier production part approval process (PPAP), supplier corrective actions, and associated reporting for program updates.
· Work with Engineering (Design and Manufacturing Engineers) team to define process parameters and criteria to ensure supplier process capability is effective to meet product and process requirements
· Lead the supplier approval process by assessing manufacturing/technology capabilities and Health, Safety and Environmental risks for preferred supplier ranking and interior supply base management
· Support new product launches to ensure that supplier quality meets the required standards
· Facilitate root cause analysis and corrective actions of supplier quality issues
· Perform on-site supplier visits for root cause analysis and verification of correction actions of supplier quality issues
· Collate and evaluate supplier quality data to identify process improvement opportunities within the supply chain
· Work with the supplier directly, create correction action plans to address process failures
· Review supplier manufacturing processes, collaborate with suppliers on process improvement and value enhancement opportunities
· Promote the use of Rivian preferred techniques for continuous improvement such as Lean, Six-Sigma, Poka-Yoke (Error Proofing), Measurement System Analysis, and Process Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (PFMEA)
· Provide concise, complete and accurate documentation of inspection results relative to area of responsibility. In appropriate functional areas, this refers to supporting inspection and test status requirements defined by regulations, engineering product specifications or Control Plans, Production Part Approval Process (PPAP) approval or product warrant submission
· Facilitate the escalation of unresolved supplier quality issues within assigned projects and suppliers
· Support the Quality Organization to monitor and report on supplier product quality and performance
· Deliver training of quality awareness
· Report on Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) in order to adhere to process and prevent occurrence of any non-conformity relating to product, process or system
· Assist with first off sample approvals
· Participate in cross-functional teams in the development of new products or changes related to current products in meeting customer requirements
· Manage and coordinate supplier Parts Per Million (PPM), supplier problem solving on time, cost recovery and supplier warranty indicators
· Lead quality audits
· Undertake special projects as required
· Contribute to continuous improvement activities
· Write reports and present progress at project meetings and to clients
· Achieve goals within budget
· Conduct benchmarking studies to determine best practices and designs
· Technical expertise in seating systems, headliners, interior door trim, carpets (4-7 years)
· People leadership experience in quality or manufacturing (2-5 years)
· Deep quality experience. Preferable experience/certification in VDA 6.3 audit
· Strong knowledge of Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), Production Part Approval Process (PPAP), Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA)
· Lean Manufacturing knowledge
· In depth knowledge of IATF16949:2016
· Understanding of ISO14001
· Metrology, Inspection Methods and Equipment
· Understanding and interpretation of engineering drawings
· Understanding manufacturing processes
· Ability to work in a diverse and dynamic environment
· Planning and prioritizing activities
· Good communication and interpersonal skills
· Listening skills
· Negotiation skills
· Ability to present data effectively
· Problem-solving skills
· Understanding of Health and Safety practices
· Team working skills
· Analytical skills
· Understanding of cost and financial impacts
This role requires a Monday through Friday 8:00am-5:00pm time commitment
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.