Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
In this position you will set up and manage a state-of-the-art electrified powertrain/drivetrain lab out of our HQ in Irvine, CA.
Manage daily operation and flow of testing activities within an electrified powertrain test lab
Maintain test readiness of all dynos and rigs, including instrumentation calibration, facility readiness, and equipment availability
- Track the progress of the testing required to support programs
- Write test reports and summaries to deliver to the engineering team
- Support team on e-drive unit testing, including scripts for test equipment
- Perform end of line testing of e-drive units to ensure proper performance before end use
- Develop test plans and work with engineering to develop test cases and procedures
- Develop test fixtures and identify equipment needed to test
- Create new tests or fixtures to support engineering needs on validation
- Conduct RFQs with purchasing for outside testing and coordinate the product to and from the lab, obtain the test information, and answer questions for the testing to be conducted
- Develop the ability to help troubleshoot the failure modes of the packs based on test failures, and field failures
- Install and Follow all safety guidelines to ensure team operates in a safe manner
10+ years Technician Experience working directly in test cells and/or large dynamometer systems
2+ years Electric Vehicle experience
High voltage system and component safety training
Understanding of motor, inverter, and gearbox concepts
Understanding of propulsion system and thermal (coolant and refrigerant) systems
Understanding of Electric Vehicle safety
Expertise in instrumentation (Thermocouples, RTDs, Strain Gauges, Accelerometers, Hygrometers, Pressure Gauges, Flow Meters)
Expertise environmental test set up and test error proofing
Expertise in mechanical tooling and integrations
Ability to work under strenuous / awkward positions throughout the working day.
Ability to understand and operate a variety of scan tools / diagnostic equipment
Ability to operate common automotive test equipment
Ability to use various automotive repair software and programs
Ability to work well and communicate with fellow technicians
Driven and self-motivated
Minor fabrication experience
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist you with your job search or application for employment, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.