Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Develop a Data Architecture for Energy Storage Systems
- Data Infrastructure – work with Rivian stakeholders in Energy Storage as well as Technology to identify needs for data warehousing and services, including capacity planning, APIs, and overall mission
- Vehicle Test Data – Collaborate with data providers in Technology (Connected Car and others) to integrate battery data collected from Rivian vehicles into the Rivian cloud
- Pack Test Equipment – Work with selected vendor to roll out a data infrastructure for Rivian’s pack test equipment, consisting of electrical testers and a vehicle shock/vibe table in Rivian’s test facility. Ensure that the data is warehoused and made available such as to maximize use by Rivian research and development teams who need to pull and query the data
- Cell Test Equipment – Work with cell team to develop a data infrastructure for Rivian’s cell test equipment, consisting of electrical testers and a vehicle shock/vibe table in Rivian’s test facility. Ensure that the data is warehoused and made available such as to maximize use by Rivian research and development teams who need to pull and query the data
- Develop Algorithms and Analytics to Detect Events in Individual Battery Data
- Battery Health Analytics – Collaborate with ESS team members to develop physics-based signals of battery degradation (eg, from cathode degradation, anode degradation) or other conditions of interest (such as lithium plating). Survey academic literature to identify and implement algorithms based on emerging research
- Battery Status Estimation – Work with BMS team to develop on-line methods of estimating battery health based on outputs from BMS as well as other sources of information available from the vehicle.
- Create Machine Learning Algorithms to Identify Patterns in Rivian Vehicle/Pack/Cell data
- Anomaly Detection – Collaborate with a variety of Rivian stakeholders to measure battery status and usage. Develop machine learning algorithms to create models of “normal” behavior from which anomalies can be detected. Anomalies could represent improper function or usage of the cell, pack, or vehicle
- Pattern Recognition – Develop goals for identifying interesting patterns in Rivian data. Develop and socialize pattern recognition concepts with stakeholders and also survey stakeholders for patterns of potential interest that may be detected
- 7+ years of work experience in data science, with 10 preferred.
- Demonstrated experience developing and launching analytic platforms based on data science
- Experience in automotive or battery strongly preferred
- Experience or education in a physical science preferred
- MS or PhD required in Computer Science, Mathematics, Chemistry, or Chemical Engineering preferred
- Strong quantitative skills
- Strong communication skills
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.